Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 82 Corvette

qualitydude9000

Corvette
82 Black Corvette
Hello, I have read several post to fule problems on a 82 crossfire,
The car was running fine we left for 20 days came back and the car will not start. I got it started with starting fluid, but no gas to the carbs?
The relay clicks on for 2 seconds and goes off I tried another relay I found on the firewall that matches it clicks and goes off like it should.
I have 2 wires and a ground on the top of the tank BRN/W stripe, orangish brown this wire barely has voltage is this the gauge? Is the brn/w does it have voltage?
Please walk me through the process.....How do you know if the fuel pump is out?

First off: Welcome to the CAC! :w

Secondly, i would think you should hear the buzzing sound the pump makes priming the injectors.

Thirdly, if buzzing is there, do you see the cone looking spray into the injector bowls? (Take the air filter element off).

So, if no buzzing, check the fuel pump components, including fuses, cabling, ground etc.

If you get buzzing (ie the fuel pump is trying), check the fuel filter (under the passenger side floor is the easiest to see/change it). Also, check the injector fuses, each have their own fuse.

If you need to go further, you need the Shop Manual and something like the WinALDL program to diag the car.

But one step at a time: Do you get a buzzing sound (for about 3 seconds when you turn the key)?

:w
-Stefan

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for the welcome
The Relay is good , I will check the fuse on the carbs? I cant find any fuse on the fuse box that says fuel pump....... just ing 1 ing 2 are these them
I have had my wife turn the key I am at the back of the car and hear nothing, I guesss I want to know about voltage to the two wires ontop of the pump that are sealed one has low current the other none and off the side one ground.
I will try like you said the carbs fuses
Thanks for your support
Have a great day

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for the welcome
The Relay is good , I will check the fuse on the carbs? I cant find any fuse on the fuse box that says fuel pump....... just ing 1 ing 2 are these them
I have had my wife turn the key I am at the back of the car and hear nothing, I guesss I want to know about voltage to the two wires ontop of the pump that are sealed one has low current the other none and off the side one ground.
I will try like you said the carbs fuses
Thanks for your support
Have a great day

It's actually the Injector's that have the fuses, but if you dont hear a buzzing sound that the pump makes when starting/turning the key, i doubt thats the issue. I hear it when i sit in my car, turn the key, it goes BZZZZZZ-Clack (Sorry, dont laugh, it does :L), then i know the fuel pump works and has primed the injectors. You'd know if you'd hear it.

I dont know if it's the same on the outside, never tried that one. ;)

Sounds like you are not getting electricity at the pump. Yes the 2 cables on the top, with the connector. I am not 100% what it should have, electricity wise. I'll check the Shop Manual tonight and get back to you tomorrow (unless someone here has it handy and could jump in).

But, no buzzing points to the pump, In My most Humble un-technical opinion. ;)

-Stefan

It's actually the Injector's that have the fuses, but if you dont hear a buzzing sound that the pump makes when starting/turning the key, i doubt thats the issue. I hear it when i sit in my car, turn the key, it goes BZZZZZZ-Clack (Sorry, dont laugh, it does :L), then i know the fuel pump works and has primed the injectors. You'd know if you'd hear it.

I dont know if it's the same on the outside, never tried that one. ;)

Sounds like you are not getting electricity at the pump. Yes the 2 cables on the top, with the connector. I am not 100% what it should have, electricity wise. I'll check the Shop Manual tonight and get back to you tomorrow (unless someone here has it handy and could jump in).

But, no buzzing points to the pump, In My most Humble un-technical opinion. ;)

-Stefan
Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your help but I gave up and took it to the shop and found out the pump was no good and was given a price of 345.00US to fix it I agreed next he called me late last night and said it also was the ECM and said he could rewire to bypass the ecm now my bill is 600.00US
Whooooo WE I just hope to get the car back by Friday and I am selling it and looking to buy a 2005 and hope no problems this is my 3 vette 2002 no problems 86 problems 82 problems I wish I were a mechanic nut unfortuinatly I am not I need something bullett proof
I am selling the old gal for 6500.00 and second gear is out in the tranny
I hope I can sell her and move on to the next one
Thanks again

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your help but I gave up and took it to the shop and found out the pump was no good and was given a price of 345.00US to fix it I agreed next he called me late last night and said it also was the ECM and said he could rewire to bypass the ecm now my bill is 600.00US
Whooooo WE I just hope to get the car back by Friday and I am selling it and looking to buy a 2005 and hope no problems this is my 3 vette 2002 no problems 86 problems 82 problems I wish I were a mechanic nut unfortuinatly I am not I need something bullett proof
I am selling the old gal for 6500.00 and second gear is out in the tranny
I hope I can sell her and move on to the next one
Thanks again

Wow. Nice prices.. I see the 85' pump set goes from $60 to $100 (And yes, i was always told to replace the 82's pump with an 85). And i was told changing it isnt a biggy. Ah well.

I would not have them bypass the ECM, that might induce all sorts of other issues that even the next owner might not want to buy into. ;)

Sorry to thear you'll let her go, but it's your choice. Good luck with the next one. :thumb

-Stefan

Wow. Nice prices.. I see the 85' pump set goes from $60 to $100 (And yes, i was always told to replace the 82's pump with an 85). And i was told changing it isnt a biggy. Ah well.

I would not have them bypass the ECM, that might induce all sorts of other issues that even the next owner might not want to buy into. ;)

Sorry to thear you'll let her go, but it's your choice. Good luck with the next one. :thumb

-Stefan

Are you sure he is not just taking your money and not bypassing the ECM? I can see the car running at all with a bypassed ECM. Lastly you can replace the ECM for about $135. Its plug and play.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom