Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 82 vette HP upgrade

Dlaurino

I have a completely bone stock 82 crossfire with 30K on it. I am looking to eventually pull the motor and replace with a crate motor with about 375 hp. I have heard that the rear end will not hold up, is this correct and are there any suggestion on what can be done to handle the HP?
Thanks

I have a completely bone stock 82 crossfire with 30K on it. I am looking to eventually pull the motor and replace with a crate motor with about 375 hp. I have heard that the rear end will not hold up, is this correct and are there any suggestion on what can be done to handle the HP?
Thanks

If you're going to replace it, then do an LSx motor. Upgrade rear end to D44. Having said that, maybe you might want to think about ditching the 82 and buying a C4 ZR-1. You can buy one for just about what the conversion would cost along w the effort. Drive one, you'll buy it.

If you're going to replace it, then do an LSx motor. Upgrade rear end to D44. Having said that, maybe you might want to think about ditching the 82 and buying a C4 ZR-1. You can buy one for just about what the conversion would cost along w the effort. Drive one, you'll buy it.

Agreed- LSx is the easiest way to go if someone wants 375hp or more.

Dlaurino said:
Thanks

Dlaurino- WELCOME TO THE CAC!! :thumb

There are other SBC crate motors. The ZZ4 has been discontinued- and that was 355hp. Now there is a ZZ5- and it is around $6k and has about 45 more ponies. It's also turn key- but a steep initial investment.

So like Xfire51 said, for the cost... an LSX is hard to beat.

A basic crate motor won't be exactly plug n' play unless it is turn key and includes a distributor and carb.

Sure- a basic crate motor might bolt up, but the stock crossfire won't be up to the demands of a 375hp motor. Xfire51 had a really nice, modified '84 that he raced and it was quite the performer from the videos I have seen. I can't begin to estimate what he tied up in it in terms of dollars- but that said, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to what he spent versus the LSx swap.

Back to your '82... on top of the fuel delivery needs... the rear end, transmission, suspension, and tires would all need to be looked at- and then upgraded to handle that kind of power. Shift points, clutches, converter & stall, etc... would all need to be addressed. And that's just the transmission. 15x8 tires will likely spin pretty easy with that kind of power- so wider tires would need to be considered too.

Now... 375hp can be done... just depends on how much you are comfortable with spending. :beer

If I may ask, are you planning on driving it and want more power or do you intend to drag it?

BTW... gears would also be a good add for a stockish '82 if you wanted to leave the engine as-is. Mid America offers rear ends with either 3.73s or 3.55s for the 80-82 Vettes. They run about $1k, but it's far less than going into the motor.

Welcome to CAC!

If you're going naturally aspirated, a higher numeric ratio rear axle will be required. A camshaft will specify a power band; to get to it quickly, changing rear gears is required. In the 1990s, I had a rip picking on people with nothing more than a Hypertech chip, a 350 + a 5 speed and a 3.73 rear. As time, sweat and funds permitted; it evolved into a lot more.

Kane,
Agreed and IMO, there is nothing quite like LSx for making power while maintaining fuel economy.

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom