Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 still runs like poohay

That knock sensor retards the timing in order to decrease combustion pressure thereby giving you a significantly cooler burn, which means decreased performance....but reduced knock. Not sure, but this could have something to do with some of the problems you are having, especially if this was one of the last things messed with before the problem started. Was the knock sensor part of the "tune-up" that was done just before the problems started. Were the plug wires messed with? I did not cathch who did the "tuneup".

Ted

Some guy in Walnut Creek area California

Funny thing is, I just put in a Hypertech Stage 2 chip and the "gear hunting" from the transmission seemed to go away not to mention that it is running a little better, but, either the timing or something still is quite erratic and rough. I havent done a WOT yet because it a little freaky when it sputters out and I dont want to hurt my engine. All i know is, WOT + 3500 RPM and above = *sputter* and massive power loss.

Oh yeah..... back to the question. The check engine light was on all of the time and that was the reason he ("Mr. Ill-get-your-engine-running-like-a-top"):crazy replaced it. The ping/klak-ing went away and so went the performance (it all seems so clear now), so now it seems that I need to put in the high test, $45 a gallon, So-Cal gas in it now and disconnect the knock sensor......if this is a reliable option. I think the hypertech chip states that 9 million octane is reccomended:eek They really rip ya in gas down here."Me"---->:cry :dance<---"Gas Company"

Phooey running

Do yourself a favor and have the exhaust pressure checked before you spend a bunch of money. Take it from a fool who had the tranny rebuilt before he leared that the main (this was on an '86) CAT was plugged. BTW it had also just passed the DEQ. If left to stand for a couple of days it would seem to run okay for awhile. But if you nailed it or did any quick actions with the accelerator the engine would die. After they rebuilt the tranny it ran okay for a day or two then one night on the way home from work I had to have AAA tow it in. It could not make it home. That is when they learned it had a plugged CAT. I was no dumber then they though because they replaced the new torgue convertor before they learned that the CAT was plugged. :)
BTW, if it has a plugged CAT do the work yourself. ED's muffler shop (a local chain) charged me $1000.00 to replace the 3 CATs and the "Y" pipe. This was on an '86 which has the two pre-CATs.
But boy did it run terrific after that!

Good luck with it............

I hope thats it

I am doing the unthinkable as we speak. Ordering a Tru Dual pipe setup w/no cat from Corvette Central. I think the $220 for that will bump my performane up and save me tons of dough. Perhaps not tons but...

I was going to do this anyways so Ill keep my fingers crossed and try to bruise two birds with one nerf ball. (I dont want to kill them. Im vegan. lol)

Mufflers

I think you will notice the difference. You will start hearing remarks about "scavanging" power at the low end, etc. I never noticed it. Of course I still am running the main CAT but I removed the two pre-cats and the mufflers. You couldn't mistake the Targa "mufflers" for real mufflers, they don't muffle anything. :) I totally removed the CAT on a Fiero that I once owned. I didn't notice any loss in power on the low end of it either. Of course I later re-installed it with a low loss CAT because we have DEQ where I live.

I think you will be delighted with the performance. I was when I just had them replaced. It was like I had dropped a in a new engine.

Have fun...............

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom