Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Engine project: The break-in phase

Diaper Hill ROFL :L

The engine is in!! :D bell housing and all. It went well. Now to figure out the wiring:eek Going to put the drive train and headers and exhaust in tomorrow . Tha'll leave the topside to finish.

As far as the mutts go ,mine likes to pick up whatever on the floor and eat it. When I had the race car he would eat the rivets I would drill out when doing crash repair .I'm sure he's part goat.:L
His favorite trick is to wait until I'm under the car and then pick up something and lean down and show me and make me get out to take it away from him. He's an a**. :L:L All 135#'s

As of last night , the drive train is in. The torque arm was kind of a bear. I would do it a little different next time around. Passenger side header is on. Slid right in without a problem. I ve some concerns about wiring which I will submit in a different post.

hmm

I replaced the ECM in my 85, and u know,, its a pain to do,, hehe, u have to get on your back. slide down,, un screw 3 screws,, then the bracket (that holds the ECM), and slide it out,,, then figure out, for 10 mintues how to take wire adapter off it,,,,, now that part isn't hard,, put the thing back in,, can be a back killer, and im 19,,

anyways,, i know a guy in FL that this guy burnt 100 chips tryign to perfect a 85 corvette,, (keep and mind 85 corvettes have a ligher cranks shaft),,just for those that don't know that on 350's stock,, for 85's,,,,, anyways,this guy made this chip that can beat C5 corvettes off the line,,

and it sells fo rlike 50 bucks,,,
thats wha ti plan to pu tin my corvette in a few weeks
im not sure on the site as this time

Re: hmm

Shadowing1985v said:
... anyways this guy made this chip that can beat C5 corvettes off the line

The L-98 will do it every time, even stock. Torque is its strong point. ;)

well

what this chip is, is that i met this guy online he owns a 85 vett and he found this chip, and he installed it, and it extemly good,, majorly,,,, im going to write that guy, on this chip, its the chip im going to put in,, in a month

Shadow, I had TPIS burn my prom. They have all the info I gave them and since all the stuff on the engine is the same as theirs , I expect it to be pretty close . If you read back on this post you know my engine is not stock by no means.:)

sigh

Can u please tell me where TPIS site is, at,, i asked a lot of time son here, no one asnwers,,

that sounds really good,,,
so the chip is made for what u have on your car
very nice,,, please give me the stie someone

Adjusting fuel pressure and timing

Which way do you turn the adjuster on the reg and is that a vac port coming off the side of it? Also I have the distrib turned so the cap connectors are counter cockwise toward the fire wall. Car is idler high at 6* advanced .Tps is at .64. HELP

Dave, I forget, but I assume you have an aftermarket adjustable regulator because the GM unit is pre-set at the factory. Usually when you tighten (turn adjuster clockwise) you increase the pressure, conversely when you unscrew (counter-clockwise) you lessen the pressure.

Yes, there is a vacuum line leading to the regulator.

_ken :w

Hello Ken , yes I do have the aftermarket reg. i fired up the engine last night and heave been at it all today . I'm getting a high idle and it heating up quite quickly. i think I have the timing ok now . I need to get it a normal idle though to set the base timing. Maybe I ve got it too rich. I havent got my fuel press gage yet. The check engine light is going frantic too....lol. Since I dont have an egr or am I running none of the AIR either, no diverter valve and dont know what I'm supposed to do with the connectors that aren't being used. This is going to be fun.:(
Thanks for the info

maxrevs85 said:
... dont know what I'm supposed to do with the connectors that aren't being used.

You aren't going to want to hear this but that is why I took it to a guy to have it installed when mine was done. Ain't I a PITA? :L

One thing we discovered on the throttle body I got from TPiS was the fact that the spring on the adjuster screw was bottoming-out and wouldn't allow the idle to be adjusted up in my case. Mine also was pulling all of the idle air throuhgh the Idle Air Control -- it was wide open (because the throttle plates were completely closed).

Good luck with all of the extra connectors Dave, maybe Chris will spot this and offer his sage advice. ;)

_ken :w

umm

.64 for your TPS

isn't it suppose to be set at .54

I'm going to pose some questions to TPIS today. Hopefully they can give me some help.

yeah

i figure that was the reason, i was just making sure

Talked to Jim at TPIS today. along with a couple tips on the throttle set up . He said to turn the screw at the top of the TB 1 1/2 turns out past the point where the throttle is at rest. This will make sure it is cracked open and that the ICS doesnt read it closed and then close down. Also i need to buy the scanner so as to be able to report to them what is going on so they can assist me. $180. And the AIR system isnt ECM controlled . The EGR only comes into play when you are driving and wont be a problem. The prom they made me also controls the fan settings . They will come on earlier then stock. Sooo all them extrsa plug connectors dont do diddly squat now . No worries mate :) Oh by the way the engine sounds AWESOME and wants to gooooo:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom