Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85mph to 140mph SPEEDO UPGRADE

C

Corvette Craig

I stumbled on this yesterday.

REDLINE GAUGE and CLOCK REPAIR (sorry no web site)
** (731) 868-4500, attn: JOHN

This company will send you a complete 140mph Speedo with installation directions, which he also explained to me over the phone, and doesn't sound bad at all.

One major advantage is they will send you a new one within a week, and wait for you to install it, (within 10 days, no core charge) to send yours, NO DOWN TIME!!!!

ALL THIS FOR: $57.00, yes, just FIFTY-SEVEN DOLLARS :J

Looks like my order is going in VERY SOON. :bu

Sounds like a good deal, does he do other stuff, like Clocks, Circuit Boards etc.?

Steve :w

Hmmm.... I suppose I could call myself and ask questions, but I think I'll let you be the guinnea pig on this one :D

Questions I have would be: Do they put the proper mileage on the odo? Do they guarantee their calibration? Is it an early C3 speedo or just some aftermarket guage? Can they do a 165mph speedo?

I'm still on schedule to go with Eckler's conversion to the 165mph speedo because the 140 isn't high enough.... But I'm very interested to keep up with this to see how it turns out for you!

Ev.........

165 mph?,
What's the hurry, Where's the fire?
Slow down, enjoy life.
You can't see much going that fast!!!

140 mph Speedo's

When I spoke with them yesterday, they did state:

1. They do guarantee the calibration
2. They will set the ODO to the mileage requested
3. They say this is an exact match to the original

What I like best about this, is this gives you a chance to see and match the new speedo, without disassembling and sending in the current one. No time wasted.
Basically it comes down to this, if it doesn't match, I'll return it.

As for the other guages, I'm not sure but would think so, hence the company name, and since they're already doing the speedo's for Vettes.

P.S. I wouldn't be the LEAST bit suprised this is one of the place's that's supplying the vendors with upgrades.
After all, I don't believe when you have to remove your speedo and send it in first, wait six to eight weeks with a hole in your dash, untill the new one arrives, that they're updating it themselves, do you?

$57.00, compared to $200.00???

I smell "outsorcing"

MMVette,
Sorry, it's CorvetteCentral. Ecklers doesn't do the conversion anymore. CC charges $139 + core for the conversion.

CorvetteCraig,
"Youth is a mask, and it don't last, so live it long, and live it FAST" Sound familiar??? :D Usually I just cruise at or BELOW the speed limit in the vette, but there are times when I just have to open it up. As I've said in other threads, I've built my car for speed and I occasionally like to take it out for a run. Both my grandfather and father were SCCA racers for over 20 years each, along with my father also being an instructor. So to say that I have 'some' knowledge of professional driving gives me some comfort in my abilities, as well as my own track times that I've logged over the years.

And anyways...these are only highway runs... and there ain't nuthin' ta see on Ohio highways... :bu

Back to the topic though... Outsourcing...hmmm, makes sense! Lemme know how it goes!

Ev......

Please.....

When you pass everyone,
don't forget to "WAVE" at us slower folks.:w

Oh, I never fly by another vette. With my decibel level at WOT, it would be disrespectful! I always slow up and pace them for a few, get a good long wave, a big smile, then be back on my merry way.
In fact, yesterday I had these two guys (late 50's / early 60's) cruising in a new C5 convertible. I crawled up, paced them, then we decided we'd go for a little jog together :D I didn't do all that bad! I know he floored it because I saw the typical grayish "blow-by" out the tailpipes. He didn't smoke me, but around 135-140 he started to pull away. Then we met back up a "few feet" down the road, gave each other a bigger smile and wave :_rock , and I continued on my way (they were getting off on the next exit). :bu

I just ordered the speedo. Ill have it by the weekend. Its a 78 - 82 speedo but with a 79 face. Th only part thats different is it doesnt have the indicator for 55mph. They calibrate it for the mileage that you give them. Yes it does cost $56.50. The core charge is $350. THANKS CORVETTE CRAIG!! :beer

I have a good cruise story. I was on the way to a Vette show and I came across 6 vettes in a row. The years were 63-70. They were going to the same show. Look up Unique Corvettes.com and youll see what condtion these cars were. Every car they get is amazing. (top dollar too)

Corvette Craig or MMVette80

Did you get your speedo?

Yes, it came today. It looks good. Ill post a picture of it later in the week. I wont be able to install it till Saturday. (Two jobs)!

mmVette and Ev.................140 mph Speedo's

Well I finally got back into the office today and just ordered the speedo.
$56.50, Gotta love that!
I should get it this friday, then I'll install it saturday morning.

YA - HOO:J

mmVette: How did your install go? Was it pretty straight-forward?

Ev.: Still leaning toward the 165mph, or have I swayed you to the DARK SIDE?

:upthumbs

I'm still gonna try to get the 165 speedo... here's the interesting thing though. I'm going to call them today and see what's up.

I just realized that the 69-71 had the greenish hue, taller numbers, but only up to 160. The 78-79 had the standard white numbers up to 140.

So did the 72-77 have 165 on the face? And if so, which font was used??? ....the narrower/taller greenish font or the more boxy, white font?

Ev....

Sorry I can't give you an answer on that.
I do have a friend with a 77. I think his is a 140 w/ White Numbers.
But I'm not even sure if the speedo (older style dash) is the same size as ours.
If I remember right, I think that the mounts won't match either.
We need some imput from members with 72 to 77 to confirm.

I did get this info today from RED LINE.
78-82 are made with all the same face to match the RPM guage.
The reason they only produce a 140mph, is to match the other shark years.
I don't know, but was a 165 ever produced for sharks?

Good Luck,
:upthumbs

I'm not sure, but I believe my 77 has white numbers up to 140. I can confirm tonight.

Russ

Evo, how fast have you ACTUALLY gone in your Corvette? I can see 140, but 165??? The car would be just about ready to disintegrate at that speed! It ain't a Lamborghini, after all...

I've run up to 150. Once clocked by a C5, once clocked by a GSXR1000. I'm expecting a little more top end from the 700r4 when I get it next year (fingers crossed). The car is fine, minus a wee bit of front end lift. I can feel it, but I don't know that anyone else would. That's pretty much straight line though. Changing lanes at top speed is a bit more threatening, so I don't. Anyways, if I have to change lanes, that means that traffic patterns are changing ahead of me and I'll come out of it (the throttle, that is). At that point, I bring it back down to about 65-70mph. I may be crazy, but not stupid. There is a difference... :Silly

On a side note, my Dad is wanting to get me back into real racing (i.e., SCCA or something, and off the public roads), so we're going to look at a race car possibly tomorrow. He doesn't like me street racing. He'd much rather see me take a checkered than a citation. Gotta love them dad's! :cu

Well, Corvette Craig, yep...I gave in to the power of the dark side. I went with the 140, instead of the 165.

After talking with John at Redline, it just makes more sense in the long run. I'm a little disappointed that I'll still bury the needle, but as he confirmed, the 165 has a 'squished' look about it, as well as being relatively inaccurate. Plus, for the price...I'm definitely not going to argue, ESPECIALLY since he doesn't require the core first and he's going to set my mileage for me.

I just had too many unanswered questions about the 165 unit, plus the additional cost to boot. And I didn't get the warm & fuzzies when I spoke to CorvetteCentral today...So oh well...that's that. I should have it sometime next week. I'm still excited though...$57! Woohoo!!!

Now if only I'd have my 700r4 for the drive to BG...

I installed the speedo today. It took about 40 minutes. No problems. Im gona get a new speedo cable just for sh_ _s and giggles. I Works great! The only real difference is the KMH section is blue instead of orange.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom