Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85mph to 140mph SPEEDO UPGRADE

HOLD THE PRESS! My speedo stopped working on the way to work last night. Its a brand new tranny and cable. Ill have to check out what happened.

My speedo problems listed above have disappeared. had it out last night and noticed that

1) It rests at Zero now.
2) It works fine in the 5-30mph range.

For whatever it's worth, the new speedo now has over 100 miles logged on it. Maybe it's a break in period or something...

Pics to follow today!

You can also see from these pics why I needs a 700R4 tranny...

...And no, I wasn't driving while taking the pics. My buddy was driving... :D

Speedo+001.jpg

Speedo+004.jpg

Speedo+007.jpg

Re: Installation finished!

Next up? Video! Coming soon to an internet near you! If someone wants to host my footage, let me know...

If you do a nice 140 run I'll host it :D already have some of yours hosted. A nice burnout or other tire roaster would be appreciated. As soon as I get mine back from the tuner I'm doing a nice burnout video.

On July 13th there is a bunch of Florida guys heading to Bradenton Dragway, I'll be getting plenty of Corvette racing for everyones amusement. :D

Cool...

It'll probably be at least a week or two before I can get any footage. This was pretty much my last available weekend for doing nothing. It gets busy again from here on out. But until then...

:bu

mmvette80 said:
HOLD THE PRESS! My speedo stopped working on the way to work last night. Its a brand new tranny and cable. Ill have to check out what happened.

MM any update?

BudD
:w

140 mph Speedo's

So far I've logged 97 miles on the new speedo.
Pretty happy so far - UNTILL YESTERDAY.

IT QUIT??????

I'm gonna take it back out and check the cable, but it seems odd that mine and MMVETTE went down.

Evolution1980 said:
Cool...

It'll probably be at least a week or two before I can get any footage. This was pretty much my last available weekend for doing nothing. It gets busy again from here on out. But until then...

:bu

No problem, email me when you have it.

Craig- keep us posted, I was about to call for a speedo today but if they have a high failure rate I'll keep searching for a 165mph unit.

I have'nt checked the speedo yet, ill take a look now. I have a few hours till summer school lets out.

I figured it out. The cable needle that goes into the speedo had backed out. The easiest fix would be to take the cable off at the tranny, push in the other end of the needle and then hook up a drill and spin it in reverse to see if it works. Thats what worked for me.

wicky88s1975

I also have wider tires then stock, I went down 2 sizes in height and up 2 in width. I was off by about 7 mph ,reading too high. I had a 9 tooth grear put in, that the biggest we could find. It had a 7 tooth stock.

The guage reads accurate with in 1 mph, well over 20 it still jumps up and down below that.

pretty happy with it over all, I would like to do a 140 speedo, but I dont want to have it mess up the accuarcy now that I have it.

I just opened the new Mid- America mag. They offer the speedo for $250 plus a $100 core.

Ha Ha :L

Let me know how your 140 mph speedo is working out

How is all your speedo's working out for you guys so far?I am getting that bouncy needle deal below 50mph.Its probably from burying the speedo so much lately.I've already lubed the cable and put in a new gear even though the old one looked fine.I am now considering joining your ranks.Thanks in advance guys.

Dave

Mine's been great! After the first couple days of a little goofiness between 10-25, whatever was up worked itself out and it's been fine. I'm completely satisfied with it! I love having something to look at now, although I find myself still ignoring it because for the past 7 years I haven't bothered looking down past 85mph! Now I have to remind myself that, "yes, now I can actually see just how bad the ticket is going to be!" hahaha....

Thanks Evo- About how long did it take you to pullout and install that speedo?

Dave

The only problem ive had is the cable. The pin keeps backing out. I go it from Corvette Central. Evolution where did you get your cable from?
It took me bout 30 - 45 minutes to install mine.
I like to cruise at 100mph, its just nice to see the needle there.

yep..I got the 60" speedo cable from Corvette Central as well.

Unfortunately, I don't usually turn my own wrench on the vette. I change the oil, and I drive the car. I don't have the tools, time, or know-how to do the job myself. Yes, it costs me money, but time is money, so it equals out. Plus, my mechanic does the quality of work I couldn't do if I wanted to. I think he simply had to drop the steering column, and work his hand up in there. But don't quote me on it. MMVette80 could probably tell you how he did his (although I never had a problem with my cable backing itself out...hahahh...just goofin' around, MM :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom