Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85mph to 140mph SPEEDO UPGRADE

140 mph Speedo's

Ev. & MMVETTE,

For both of you, CONGRATULATIONS :beer

Score one for US "little guys" :J

BTW - Yesterday I ordered a LT Street Wing ($300.00) for the Vette, and just this morning I recieved an e-mail from a woman whose interested in selling hers.
I gotta call her today to see if I can save $$$$ :D

I might have to cancel the overpriced "COMPANY :booty WING" and put a little money in a pocket of another Vette owner.

I LOVE A GOOD DEAL:_rock

:upthumbs :beer :upthumbs

Hey Guys I have a 1980 with 175 mile hour speedo. I was told the car was original with only 11k miles. I guess I was ripped off. The build sheet has a code: D1A SPEEDO GEAR & E6E SLEEVE-SPEEDO. Was this speedo an option? The car was built in Nov 1979.

hmmm... I don't know, but I'd definitely be interested to see what anyone else can dig up...

king80vette ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Here are the Options for 1980, from our Model Center I also looked through the Corvette Black Book and here what it says "The speedometers for the 1980 Corvette read to a maximum of 85 mph, a new federal requirement. These were phased in during 1979 production."

Evolution1980,
Have you considered running the "Silver State Classic" or the one in Texas or Nebraska?

BudD
:w

Re: king80vette ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Rare81 said:
I also looked through the Corvette Black Book and here what it says "The speedometers for the 1980 Corvette read to a maximum of 85 mph, a new federal requirement."...

Yeah, I've read that also, but there are occasionally factory one-offs that make it through for whatever reason. I guess if the build sheet on the car is authentic, it could be a very Rare80 ;) King80Vette would need to take it to someplace like Carlisle where he could find a few NCRS judges or something...someone who can authenticate his build sheet.

King80Vette:
You might be interested in coming down to SharkFest this year... End of August, HUGE C3 gathering at the National Corvette Museum ("NCM"). If you had questions about your car, that's the place to be...

Thanks for the info. I will be at Carlisle. The car looks and drives like an 11k mile car. I do not think someone could do that kind of resoration for what I paid for it.

king80vette,
Click on THIS to see how to do the photo's. Also we have a "Proving Grounds" forum toward the bottom of the forums page for experimenting. All we ask is that everyone Please observe the size requirements for signature photo's and photo's in general.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride!

140 mph Speedo's

MMVETTE @ EVOL...

Well, I got the speedo installed yesterday afternoon.
I was surprised how simple it was to put in.

I FINALLY got a decent SPEEDO :J

All for $57.00 :_rock

Sometimes, life just works in your favor :beer

(P.S. - You should see the gash on my ring finger)

Ive put a couple hundred miles on mine. I love it. I feel in tune with the rest of the world. Its funny how they scummed 80-82 but the 84 was digital and went to 150. Im just glad that the Vette's speedo reads better than my 86 Mazda B200.

140 mph Speedo's

MMVETTE:

Does yours seem to run FAST,
or is it just me.

I only went for a short run last night, I think I'll have the wife follow me (if she can keep up) w/ some Walkie-Talkies to check the accuracy of it.

But, with that said....I LOVE IT!!!

I've wanna one since I got the Vette, eight long years ago.
Can't believe I had waited this long....

"All good things, come to those who wait."

My speedo cable had a little play in it. When I put in the new speedo it got worse. It bounces between 5 mph. After I change the cable ill run next to someone.

Please let us know how accurate you new speedos are.
This sounds great!

I changed the cable and the speedo is smooth. Ill try to check the accuracy this weekend.

Have a question for you guys. My speedo runs @5mph too fast. ie. 75mph is actual speed of 70mph. The Tires are not stock size. I read some place about changing the number of teeth in the drive gear for the speedo. Is that a part I can order someplace and is the a set formula to figure # of teeth per tire sizes?

take off your speedo cable at the trans.remove the speedo sleeve.take out the driven gear and count the teeth.adding 1 gear tooth should put you right on the money.i could let you know if that gear is still available thru GM but i am leaving for California for 2 weeks.Just call your local GM dealer,they should be able to help you out.i just put a new gear in mine last week.the gear only costs about 5 bucks.very simple to replace.

Dave

Minor Update

My guage from Redline should be in the mail Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping to have it installed by next Saturday night. I'm also replacing my speedo cable, as the one I had burnt up on my old muffler setup, and tranny fluid would leak from it.

So with the new cable and speedo, I'll let you know how the speed reads. (Lucky for me, I have a few people that can pace me). I'll have pics for ya once installed... right now, I'm driving without a speedo in the car. Well, actually, it IS in the car, but it's in the back... :D

Installation finished!

Got my car back last night. Took it out for a spin...

Looks great! Strange things though...

1) It doesn't rest at Zero when stopped. It kinda hangs out at 10mph. Will move down slightly (about 8mph) when the car starts to roll.

2) Getting it to read 25mph is damn near impoosible. Since it sits at 10 from a start, it doesn't move much until around 20-30 mph. Unfortunately, past 10-15mph it almost seems to float up to about 30, regardless if I'm accelerating or not. I tried to slow down to 25mph, but was pretty much unsuccessful.

3) Accuracy is about +2 mph up to around 70 mph. After that, it's pretty much on.

4) It's starts to flutter a little bit as you hit 135-140+ mph...

Other than those four things, it seems all good! Plus, we're talking $57! investment!! Ya can't beat it!

I'd go out and take some pics but I'm beat right now from being outside since about 8:30am (It's now about 3:30pm). I'm gonna take a nap here, then I'll go out and grab some pics.

Next up? Video! Coming soon to an internet near you! If someone wants to host my footage, let me know...

I just went out to the garage and looked at the speedo. Mine is sitting right on zero.
You were right about the gap between 10 and 30 mph. I thought it would be the cable but its not.
I had her up to 120mph and it didnt bounce yet.

ITS A MIRACLE IT WAS ONLY $57. IM HAPPY.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom