Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 steering wheel play

J

jmooney

HI guys, my 87 has about 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel. With or without the engine running, the steering wheel moves without any input to the wheels(turning back and forth). I go under the hood and move the steering shaft by hand and it does not seem to be coming from the "rag" joint, it seems tight. Does this mean I need a new steering rack? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks Jack.

This is not good!

I would get the front of the car in the air...

get somebody in the car.. as you watch under the hood..etc

Check the coupling from the steering column to the input of the rack....

If that is tight ... start going back to the steering column.. there is a shaft ( with 2 U-joints in it) coupling the steering shaft with the input to the rack.

There is also a bearing at the base for the steering coulmn.

If these are OK... look under the Boots at the ends of the rack... Then the tie rod ends...

Do you get any clunks or other noises?

Suptin's fishy.....

and If it were my car I would NOT drive it until I knew what the problem was...

Vig!

hey Vig, thanks for the information! I am going to check it out right now. As far as other

noises; no I don't have any. Your other statement rather scares me though, as I have been

driving it like this since I bought it in January. I really appreciate your help,thanks again.

Jack

hello Vig, I checked the things you mentioned and guess what? I found the pinch bolt

loose at the steering rack. I feel so stupid! I never looked under the plastic cover over that

area of the steering shaft. I have not test drove it yet, but all the slop is now gone from the

steering wheel now. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input!

This is my first Corvette and I am enjoying it so much. I always enjoy all the looks I get

wherever I go. It is nice to be in such great company with all you Corvette owners.

Jack

Jack

Your welcome.......

Welcome to the BEST......

CAC ROCKS:_rock :dance :upthumbs :upthumbs :booty :Twist :BOW :CAC ;worship

So how difficult was it to get at the pinch bolt?

Hello LarryK The pinch bolt was kind of hard to get to. I ended up using a long extension

to reach between the power steering fluid holding tank and the alternator. I could get a
socket and ratchet on it lower but then I had no room to turn it.
Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom