Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 corvettes stalls

Robert12

Corvette
1988 Silver
Hi First Time Here.

I have a 88 corvette (33,000 miles). I recently had the fuel pump replaced. However, when the I first get into the car and drive it , it runs great, but if I drive it for awhile and shut it off for a short period of time when I drive it again it stalls whenever I come to a stop for make a turn at a low speed. Also as I down shift to come to a red light it will also stall out. It starts right back up. I had it to the dealership and it passed all the diagnostic tests, and it did not do it when they drove it. But the only drove it when it engine was cold and did not stop for a while and drive it again. I am very fustrated. Any one have a idea what it is .

Muddy - I live in Pittston. thanks for getting back to me. I am very fustrated with this situation. When I take it to the dealership it never stalls, but they don;t drive it like I tell them to. Do you know any real good mechanics in the area for Corvettes

When I got my 88, I corrected a lot of little things that added up to poor drivablity, even though your car has low miles, it's been around for a while.....................

Muddy, I am going to take it to a guy this afernoon that has been around a while. Some people tell me it could be the mass ari flow sensor

I'll take a look at it, if you like, give me a heads up when your coming up this way.........I've had Vette's since the flood of 72...........I'm no spring chicken either..............

thanks Muddy,, Let me see what this guys tells me. I already told him I am coming up to his place. My cell is 954-0006 Bob

thanks Muddy,, lets see how I make out this afternoon. I will let you know one way or the other. Thanks again Pal.

thanks Muddy,, lets see how I make out this afternoon. I will let you know one way or the other. Thanks again Pal.

If it's the MAF, it should be throwing codes. You should have a service engine soon light. There's a procedure to pull the codes with a paper clip. Do a search.

No engin lights on. However, when I got the car I had the same problem then I took it to the dealership. I just remember this. Thanks to my wife. Anyway I dug out the old invoice from October and it tells me that they Removed Air Intake at Throttle Body, found loose throttle body bolts, 1 all the way out. 2 very Loose. Installed & tighten all bolts, clean throttle plate and added 1 can techron fuel additive for injectors and fuel system... what do you think ?

I assume they changed gaskets? Take it up on RT81 and let it run a little bit, run a tank of gas thru it if it's been sitting................

Muddy I am going to do that today. See what happens if it does not rain. I will keep you posted. thanks Pal

Hey it's raining, If your out give me a call on the cell, I'll give you my address ,you can stop by, if you'd like to. I'm originally from Pittston,Pa., lived at Railroad St.(Now Columbus Ave) and Martins Ct. many moons ago, I still own property in Pittston.....................

Muddy, went golfing at Irem Temple just got back. I know were Railroad st is. I live in Browntown.. I know lots of families from there. I hope to get a chance to take a ride tomorrow. However, I am playing golf sometime in the morning . Busy weekend. Son is home from the Navy for 2 days as well. take care

muddy, the guy that was suppose to look at my vette concerning this stalling issue has but me off until next week. If you offer to look at it still stands I will be glad to meet with you.

bob

If its got the orginal fuel injectors still in it, I would lay money thats your problem. The orignal GM ones are junk and expense to replace, $800 a set. Go get some new Bosch ones, half the cost !!!!! Obtw, the orignal GM ones don't like gas adders or any alcohol base cleaning products.

thanks Stang. the other day I put preminum gas in and ran the shit out of it. So far no more stalling. Maybe it was the fuel. But I have to run it some more to be convinced that that is the problem. I don;t know if it has orginal fuel injectores or not.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom