Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

89 extra hp

• Thread starter Thread starter Utah
  • Start date Start date
U

Utah

I just purchased my first vette - 1989 coupe auto, stock. Since then I have added a Ravin cat back exhaust and its now put away for the winter... What are the best mods I can do to increase the power. Im still in school so am on a limited budget.....

Ive read a bit about the hypertech street runner - is it worth the money??

hypertech is garbage.... if you want a chip, i would suggest superchips... reasonable price for a quality product. There are plenty of other mods you can do... if i were you, I would search in the C4 mods forum for L98 mods and see what you come up with... once you have an idea of what you want to do, we can help you out from there

Get a K&N air filter for about $50 will get you a couple of horses. Also, if you cut that lid open instead of letting air come in through those very restrictive "gills", you get a coupla more horses. That mod can be done at home for free. After I did it, I noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response.

You can also purchase an air foil off eBay for $30. It smooths out the air when the air gets to the throttle body. It's debatable whether this will give you a big gain, but for $30, it's a risk worth taking. I did notice a louder exhaust tone.

As for chips, Hypertech is pretty much useless. There are a lot of alternatives out there!

Hey thanks for the tips guys, its good to know before i spend the money!

Congrats on the new Vette and welcome to CAC:CAC Before you buy an aftermarket chip, contact Jeff, one of the moderaters on this website. He burns custom chips that are much better than mass manufactured chips. I haven't installed a chip yet as I'm waiting to do a couple of mods first but when I do I am going to contact Jeff. If you scroll down past posts on this forum and read the ones about chips you will see Jeffs replies. Definitely talk to Jeff before you buy a chip. The members on this site are incredibly helpful. I bought my 87 earlier this year and have learned so much from these members.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom