Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

90 ZR-1 for 18K... Is this a good deal?

Mtnbiker

Corvette
1990 Black/Black LT5 Coupe
Sorry, I should start by introducing myself. I've owned a '75 L82 and an '81 in the past, but have been Corvette-less for about 10 years. I'm interested in getting back into the group.

My intention was to buy an older C3, but recently saw an ad for a '90 ZR-1 that was listed at about $18,000. The car has over 70 K miles on it, and presents much like a 17 year old vehicle (interior shows some wear). The drivetrain/engine however felt strong and smooth.

I've seen so many different guidelines for valuing these cars, I'm now thoroughly confused. I'd hoped to call upon the CAC group's expertise... does this seem like a good value? I intend on having a local Corvette specialty shop check it out to make sure it hasn't been wrecked, etc, but before I lay out the money for that I wanted to see what the consensus was.

Thank you for any assistance!

Mtnbiker,

I'm not familiar with the market value or pricing on used ZR-1's but we have several members here that can probably give you sound advice. Hopefully they'll see your post and respond shortly.

I simply wanted to say hello and welcome you to our Corvette community. When you have time, post a thread in the New Member forum so that more of our members can stop by and say hello. Click here.

Good luck!
:w Jane Ann

Check out this site for some good info. on the ZR-1..

Good Luck.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/

Thanks for the link... from what I've seen of the cars listed for sale on that site, it's a pretty competitive price. I guess because the car's relatively high mileage (73,XXX)... I'm not looking for a trailer car, though, I plan on putting my own miles on it.

You may want to see if a ZR-1 owner is in your area and will check it out with ya..

Again good luck and let us know the outcome..

That seems like a very fair price assuming the car is in good working order. 70k miles isn't really that much, it still should have a LOT of life left in it. Sounds like a nice buy if you want a fun driver (and again, assuming it's in good shape).

What color is it?

Sounds like a current undervalued price for the car. you'll have a blast with it.

That seems like a very fair price assuming the car is in good working order. 70k miles isn't really that much, it still should have a LOT of life left in it. Sounds like a nice buy if you want a fun driver (and again, assuming it's in good shape).

What color is it?

Black/black, which I like. Although ask me again when summer gets here! The car looks pretty good... definitely not "mint," but the running gear seemed pretty good. I'm going to have Gary from Corvette City in Denver check it out to make sure there are no surprises. The driver's bolster had a tear, but from what I can see, that's fairly common. I saw it with all of its blemishes, since the dealership hadn't detailed it yet. I think it was stored outside, since I found a leaf in the gas cap area.

One thing that really bugs me is the lack of service records... or any documentation at all beyond the "Heart of the Beast" book that was included with it. Considering how meticulous I am with all my vehicles, I can't see owning a ZR-1 and not keeping those.

Doug

Well, apparently it was a good deal, it was sold out from under me while I was arranging an inspection later that afternoon. Bummer:mad

don't worry another one will pop up. Have you checked out the zr-1 registry site?

don't worry another one will pop up. Have you checked out the zr-1 registry site?

Yes I have... there's a red 90 for sale. I spoke with the owner, who seems to have taken good care of it. He's autocrossed it though, which concerns me. I'd imagine racing would take its toll on the vehicle.

Yes I have... there's a red 90 for sale. I spoke with the owner, who seems to have taken good care of it. He's autocrossed it though, which concerns me. I'd imagine racing would take its toll on the vehicle.
the harder you drive this car the more it will like you. Autoxing the car won't really hurt anything more the pads and the tires. If the car is in nice shape, go for it

If there are no major mechanical gotchas, then 18K for a '90 ZR-1 w/ 70K miles is a very attractive price. All the prices I have seen for 90 to 91 ZR-1's are in the neighborhood of 23K to 28K. Grab it!

If there are no major mechanical gotchas, then 18K for a '90 ZR-1 w/ 70K miles is a very attractive price. All the prices I have seen for 90 to 91 ZR-1's are in the neighborhood of 23K to 28K. Grab it!

I lost out on that one... ended up committing to a '90 Z for under 23K. Good news is, it only has 16K miles and was owned by a bonafide collector (featured in Vette Vue magazine). So I paid a little more, but it's even nicer than the first one I looked at. I'm just not sure if I'm worthy of such a low-mile car, though.

the 90-92 injectors don't get along with the ethnol in the current gas. As long as it's flowing the injectors don't rust, when it sits they rust. You're looking at ~1100$ to replace them if they are bad if you go with RC which is what I'd do. You'll want either the 205s or the 210s it doesn't really matter if you need them get which ever you want/they have in stock. I'm not saying there are problems but you should keep an eye out for leaking injectors.

the fix is easy, realativly...you pull the plenum and injector housings, remove the old injectors, pop the new ones in, reinstall everything.

I'm also going to suggest if it has the stock chip to change that out. you can either go with the GM upgraded chip but for the money I'd go with a chip from Mark Haibeck. Also the reinforced air duct would be a positive upgrade.

Enjoy the car :)

the 90-92 injectors don't get along with the ethnol in the current gas. As long as it's flowing the injectors don't rust, when it sits they rust. You're looking at ~1100$ to replace them if they are bad if you go with RC which is what I'd do. You'll want either the 205s or the 210s it doesn't really matter if you need them get which ever you want/they have in stock. I'm not saying there are problems but you should keep an eye out for leaking injectors.

the fix is easy, realativly...you pull the plenum and injector housings, remove the old injectors, pop the new ones in, reinstall everything.

I'm also going to suggest if it has the stock chip to change that out. you can either go with the GM upgraded chip but for the money I'd go with a chip from Mark Haibeck. Also the reinforced air duct would be a positive upgrade.

Enjoy the car :)

Thanks for the tips... I have a feeling I'll be haunting these forums for a long time. I'm pretty comfortable w/ C3's, and completely clueless about C4's.

remember to join the registry and post over on our forum....lots of good people there

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom