Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'91 first questions

H

Henri 79

Hello all,

After owning the '91 for a few days, I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer me.

* headlights:
If I turn the lights on (switch from 'o' to 'P') all the side markers, front dim and rear lights go on. Then, if I turn the knob one position further, the headlights pop up and shine. That's ok too. Then, when I turn the knob back to 'P', the headlights go out, but stay in the up position??? Turning the light switch to 'o' again, makes them 'disappear'. Is this normal behaviour?

* suspension:
I've noticed that, while driving on the highway, the car isn't that tight as I want it to be. After a bump, the car moves one or two times afterwards up & down. Sorry, English isn't my native language, so I'm trying to describe as best as I can.
Bump, car up & down, up & down, up & down, stable.
What I want: bump, car up & down, stable.
How can I achieve this? New shocks? Better shocks? Or do I need to replace the spring as well?

Since my '91 is a coupe, I take off the top almost all of the time.
My question is with the bolts that connect the top to the b-pillar. Are these supposed to come out when you remove the top? Or is something missing that 'should' keep the bolts within the top?
Mine come out and I'm afraid of loosing them sometime...

* oil temp meter
That one barely moves. I have an Export Vette, so the scale is in Celcius. But if it moves about 1/4th of the scale, it's a lot. I suspect that one to be somewhere in the 'middle', say moving halfway?
Funny thing is a friend of mine with a '93 ZR1 (a Canadian version, also Celcius reading) has the same symptom.
But he is able to have the temp on the digital dash as well and that one reads ok. That is unfortunately impossible in a '91.

Ok that's it. I love the Vette, it is SOOO different compared to my completely restored '79!
Fun part, well, depends, is my wife loves to drive around in the '91! She didn't feel comfortable driving the '79, but the '91.... Oh boy,....
Hey, perhaps there is a second C4 in sight!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Henri,
the Netherlands
the Export '91

Henri 79 said:
Hello all,

After owning the '91 for a few days, I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer me.

* headlights:
If I turn the lights on (switch from 'o' to 'P') all the side markers, front dim and rear lights go on. Then, if I turn the knob one position further, the headlights pop up and shine. That's ok too. Then, when I turn the knob back to 'P', the headlights go out, but stay in the up position??? Turning the light switch to 'o' again, makes them 'disappear'. Is this normal behaviour?
It's normal for the headlights to remain in the upright position after you turn the lights off, but you don't push the switch all the way back in.
* suspension:
I've noticed that, while driving on the highway, the car isn't that tight as I want it to be. After a bump, the car moves one or two times afterwards up & down. Sorry, English isn't my native language, so I'm trying to describe as best as I can.
Bump, car up & down, up & down, up & down, stable.
What I want: bump, car up & down, stable.
How can I achieve this? New shocks? Better shocks? Or do I need to replace the spring as well?
Sounds to me like you might be in need of shocks if the bouncing continues for more than one or two bounces after going over a rather large bump.
Since my '91 is a coupe, I take off the top almost all of the time.
My question is with the bolts that connect the top to the b-pillar. Are these supposed to come out when you remove the top? Or is something missing that 'should' keep the bolts within the top?
Mine come out and I'm afraid of loosing them sometime...
Do not unscrew the bolts so far. They should release the top, yet remain in the holes without dropping out. If you don't unscrew then so far they won't fall out. ;)
* oil temp meter
That one barely moves. I have an Export Vette, so the scale is in Celcius. But if it moves about 1/4th of the scale, it's a lot. I suspect that one to be somewhere in the 'middle', say moving halfway?
Funny thing is a friend of mine with a '93 ZR1 (a Canadian version, also Celcius reading) has the same symptom.
But he is able to have the temp on the digital dash as well and that one reads ok. That is unfortunately impossible in a '91.
The temperature of the oil of course, depends a lot upon the climate in which the car is driven, as well as how long the car is driven, and whether or not is it given enough time to get up to operating temperature. Under normal engine operating temperatures for an L98, the oil temperature should hover around 200°F (95°C). The temperature indicator won't even show a temperature until it reaches 105°F (40°C) or so. I've seen mine as high as (if I remember correctly) 271°F (133°C) as I was passing throught the Mojave Desert last year. My water temperature was somewhere around 239&#176F (115°C). :eek

As for the LED and the gauge reading differently, it's normal according to Gordon Killebrew in his book on the Top 50 Questions from Corvette Owners and Dealers.

_ken :w

Thanks a lot, Ken.

Shot shocks... Indeed the symptoms are there!

About the oil temp... The needle barely leaves the 'start' mark, which is 40 degrees Celcius.

Should I await summer & see what happens, or is my sending unit broken?

Henri
the Netherlands

Ok Henri, I don't have anything for a '91, but this is from my book on the '87. Are you ready? :D

OIL TEMP DISPLAY INDICATES LO CONSTANTLY
Disconnect the Oil Temperature Sensor connector. Jumper the DK GRN/WHT (135) wire to ground. Turn the Ignition Switch to RUN and observe the OIL TEMP Display.
  • If the Display indicates 330°F (166°C), replace the Oil Temperature Sensor.
  • If the Display continues to indicate LO, check the DK GRN/WHT (135) wire for an open. If the (135) wire is good, replace the Instrument Cluster (see Section 8C).

OIL TEMP DISPLAY IS NOT ACCURATE
Disconnect the Oil Temperature Sensor connector. Connect one red clip lead of the J33431 tester to the harness connector DK GRN/WHT (135) wire, and the other red clip lead to ground. Adjust the resistance dials of the tester to 570, 369, 135, 75 and 47 ohms. The OIL TEMP Display should indicate LO, 160, 220, 261 and 300°F plus or minus 6°F, or LO, 71, 104, 127 and 149°FC plus or minus 3°C.
  • If the Display indicates correctly, the wiring and Display are good. Replace the OIl Temperature Sensor.
  • If the Display does not indicate correctly, check DK GRN/WHT (135) wire for high resistance. If the (135) wire is good, replace the Instrument cluster (see Section 8C).

I hope this helps you Henri. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Thanks again, Ken! :J

I have a ton of literature about my '79, but none so far for the '91. But that will come, I'm sure!

Will check the oil temp this weekend! Well, the sending unit. Don't have access to the tools mentioned. Have to go to a Corvette shop for that.

The last sentence is great, 'replace the Instrument Cluster'.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom