Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 removing exhaust system

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
I just ordered the Magnaflow cat back exhaust from Performance Peddler and need advice on removing the stock exhaust system. See

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107706

I attempted to remove the exhaust system last year and was only partially successful.

All fittings came loose without breaking anything. I had the car on ramps under the front wheels and the rear wheels were on the ground.

The passenger side pipe after the cat bends inboard toward the resonator and fits in a pocket in the floor with roughly the same outline as the pipe.

When it came time to slide the passenger pipe off the cat, there wasn't enough room in the pocket to allow the pipe to clear the cat.

I think that with the rear wheels on the ground, there wasn't sufficient room to rotate the one piece system sufficiently to allow the pipe to clear the pocket, but my memory is fuzzy on that issue. Maybe even rotating the system wouldn't work...don't know. I considered loosening the pipe where it connects to the stock exhaust manifold, but there wasn't a clear path to reach it without taking a lot of stuff apart and I ran out of time and just put the system back together.

I want to keep the stock system intact in case I need to put it back on, so cutting it into manageable pieces is out.

Anyone have any suggestions on my solving my dilemma?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to get the back of the car well off the ground to remove the exhaust in one piece. As the rear tilts down the right side pipe will clear allowing the left to slide off.

You will need to get the back of the car well off the ground to remove the exhaust in one piece. As the rear tilts down the right side pipe will clear allowing the left to slide off.

Yup, toptechx6 is right, you have to get the rear up, then you gain the clearance needed to drop the mufflers down.

You'll need the car up at least 2 1/2 feet,and then it's still a pain in the donkey!!:thumbBut it will come out of there!!:D:D:D

Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it a shot when my new system arrives.

It always helps when you hear from those who have done it before you...the beauty of these forums.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom