Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A bit of Callaway history...

*89x2*

1987:The Callaway Twin-Turbo engine package introduced in 1987 was not a factory-installed option, but could be ordered through participating Chevrolet dealers as RPO B2K. Fully assembled Corvettes were shipped from the Bowling Green Corvette plant to Callaway Engineering in Old Lyme, Connecticut, for engine and other modifications. The 1987 Callaway had ratings of 345hp and 465 Ib.-ft torque, and reached a top speed of 177 9 mph with .60 overdrive gearing. The first four 1987 Callaways used replacement LF5 (truck) shortblocks, but subsequent cars had reworked production Corvette engines. All 1987 Callaways had manual transmissions and none were certified for California sale. Of 184 twin-turbos built In 1987, 121 were coupes, 63 were convertibles (188 1987's were actually constructed per records )

1988:Ratings for the 1988 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo were 382hp and 562 Ib.-ft torque. Automatic transmissions (reworked truck Turbo Hydra-Matic 400s with external od unit) were available for $4,500. Either Z51 or Z52 suspensions could be specified. Later production with Z52 had Z51's larger front brakes mufflers, longer air dams, and steering coolers because RPO B2K triggered these through Special Equipment Option (SEO) Z5G. Engines were reworked by Callaway at its Old Lyme, Connecticut shop.

For Callaway twin-turbo Chevrolet engine coding was replaced as follows: First two digits for year, next three digits for Callaway sequence last four digits to match last tour digits of vehicle identification number.

1989: Same as above - ZF6 spd replaces the 4+3 Doug Nash od transmission.

1990:hp is now 390. For Callaway twin-turbo, Chevrolet engine coding was replaced as follows: First two digits for year, next three digits for Callaway sequence, last four digits to match last four digits of vehicle identification number.

1991: hp upped to 403. Callaway Twin-Turbo conversions ended with the 1991 model year. Callaway built the 500th twin-turbo on 9-26-91 and subsequent builds were specially badged and optioned (extra $600) as "Callaway 500."
(as few as 8 series 500's were built)

1992 + Supernatural series is born :Steer

Chris lets not forget those cars in 1988 that had the non certified exhaust. That gave the car around 420 HP!!. All were called back except for 7 if I am correct. Those lucky owners have something rare.

callaway4fun said:
Chris lets not forget those cars in 1988 that had the non certified exhaust. That gave the car around 420 HP!!. All were called back except for 7 if I am correct. Those lucky owners have something rare.

Good call!! Yes - a few owners *elected* not to send in the non-EPA certified exhaust that gave a strong boost in power :upthumbs

500 Series Question

1987:The Callaway Twin-Turbo engine package introduced in 1987 was not a factory-installed option, but could be ordered through participating Chevrolet dealers as RPO B2K. Fully assembled Corvettes were shipped from the Bowling Green Corvette plant to Callaway Engineering in Old Lyme, Connecticut, for engine and other modifications. The 1987 Callaway had ratings of 345hp and 465 Ib.-ft torque, and reached a top speed of 177 9 mph with .60 overdrive gearing. The first four 1987 Callaways used replacement LF5 (truck) shortblocks, but subsequent cars had reworked production Corvette engines. All 1987 Callaways had manual transmissions and none were certified for California sale. Of 184 twin-turbos built In 1987, 121 were coupes, 63 were convertibles (188 1987's were actually constructed per records )

1988:Ratings for the 1988 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo were 382hp and 562 Ib.-ft torque. Automatic transmissions (reworked truck Turbo Hydra-Matic 400s with external od unit) were available for $4,500. Either Z51 or Z52 suspensions could be specified. Later production with Z52 had Z51's larger front brakes mufflers, longer air dams, and steering coolers because RPO B2K triggered these through Special Equipment Option (SEO) Z5G. Engines were reworked by Callaway at its Old Lyme, Connecticut shop.

For Callaway twin-turbo Chevrolet engine coding was replaced as follows: First two digits for year, next three digits for Callaway sequence last four digits to match last tour digits of vehicle identification number.

1989: Same as above - ZF6 spd replaces the 4+3 Doug Nash od transmission.

1990:hp is now 390. For Callaway twin-turbo, Chevrolet engine coding was replaced as follows: First two digits for year, next three digits for Callaway sequence, last four digits to match last four digits of vehicle identification number.

1991: hp upped to 403. Callaway Twin-Turbo conversions ended with the 1991 model year. Callaway built the 500th twin-turbo on 9-26-91 and subsequent builds were specially badged and optioned (extra $600) as "Callaway 500."
(as few as 8 series 500's were built)

1992 + Supernatural series is born :Steer

Guys, I am confused as I read through post after post of contradicting info. I have a 500 series number 508. I was told from Callaway that it might have been the last one they sold. It is (contrary to a post that was made) a B2K. Posted on the center console lid. It was $120K new. It has the following options on the window sticker and was delivered new this way:
Top line
Callaway Vehicle Price $93,091
Options Installed by Chevrolet
Corvette Preferred Euipment Group 1 $1,333
Removable Hard Top $1,995
Selective Ride and Handling $1,695
Blue/Grey Leather Buckets $475
Delco Bose $396
Six Way Passenger Power Seat $305
Engine Oil Cooler $110
Blue Convertible Top $NC
Total GM Options $6,309
Bridgestone Potenza w/ Callaway 3-PC Modular Racing Wheels $6,000
Special Callaway Candy Paint $12,500
Gas Guzzler Tax $2,100
Total Vehicle Price $120,000

It is an Aerobody, has the bra, mats and cover and 500 series dash plaque. It was delivered to David Chevrolet in Southington, CT. Questions - How many 500 series were made? Is this the last one? Ever see a higher window sticker (besides the Speedster)?

Thanks,
Bob

Has anyone seen a "non-500 Series" Speedster??

Luigi's 1991 was pretty pricey, but not that high :eek

Re: the 500's, every Speedster I have seen, has had the Series 500 (intercooler) plate on it, not that that clears things up any, it adds to the mystery. :eek:hnoes

FWIW, Automobile Magazine road tested a 1991 Series 500 Hardtop Convertible and gave it a base price of $83,970. Callaway final pricing was $106,504 + 2,100 gas guzzler tax and luxury of 10% over 30k. It was a loaded car w/ special 18" OZ wheels and Bridgestone tires, special paint - I am thinking now, that magazine used fuzzy math to add :eek

ccmsales,

Welcome to the Callaway Forum!

I'm Luigi and I am the 2nd owner of my 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo #026. As *89x2* referenced, the Callaway Invoice on my car is $90,884 plus there was a $10K dealer markup (add on window sticker) bringing the price up to $100,884. My car is Convertible and the Callaway Options listed are the B2K option, Kooloff windshield, dymags (though it wore the OZ 3pc. wheels when I bought it).

Interesting thing is that the Aerobody is not listed on the invoice and per Callaway appears to have been dealer installed. The 1st owner also had it taken back for a "475HP (speedster engine upgrade) in 1993.

Since I have owned it, it now has a matching hardtop (currently on), a spare set of Dymags, and about 2 years ago I took it to Callaway for restoration and some performance upgrades including the new and wider style stainless exhaust with high flowing cats and megaphones.

I remember seeing your car for sale and it seemed to be very, very nice. Congratulations, it was a very nice purchase.

I hope you have read about and will consider coming to the 20th anniversary Callaway Reunion at Corvettes @ Carlisle in August.

Best Regards,

-Luigi
:cool

ccmsales,

Welcome to the Callaway Forum!

I'm Luigi and I am the 2nd owner of my 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo #026. As *89x2* referenced, the Callaway Invoice on my car is $90,884 plus there was a $10K dealer markup (add on window sticker) bringing the price up to $100,884. My car is Convertible and the Callaway Options listed are the B2K option, Kooloff windshield, dymags (though it wore the OZ 3pc. wheels when I bought it).

Interesting thing is that the Aerobody is not listed on the invoice and per Callaway appears to have been dealer installed. The 1st owner also had it taken back for a "475HP (speedster engine upgrade) in 1993.

Since I have owned it, it now has a matching hardtop (currently on), a spare set of Dymags, and about 2 years ago I took it to Callaway for restoration and some performance upgrades including the new and wider style stainless exhaust with high flowing cats and megaphones.

I remember seeing your car for sale and it seemed to be very, very nice. Congratulations, it was a very nice purchase.

I hope you have read about and will consider coming to the 20th anniversary Callaway Reunion at Corvettes @ Carlisle in August.

Best Regards,

-Luigi

Luigi,

Thanks for the note. Your car sounds awesome. I love the color. I will not be able to make it to Carlisle, too far.

My father bought this car off the showroom floor in 1993 on the MSO, so it has never been for sale in the private market. The dealer this car and a silver Speedster in his private collection and had them displayed on the showroom floor. They were both for sale at the time, we just couldn't swing the extra price of the Speedster. You must have seen another one for sale not mine.

Bob

Wow, do you have any pictures of your car ccmslaes?

I'd love to see the interior especially. The blue/gray seat buckets sound like a great combo!

Hi Bob,

I almost bought your car back in the day. I lived just minutes from the dealer in southington and seen both cars in the showroom on many occasion. Your car is absolutely gorgeous may I add. The extra price is definitely because of the custom options especially paint job that juiced the price way up. I have been to callaway cars countless times especially around the time of the 500 series car and do not believe there is a more higher priced b2k except for the speedsters. Your car was basically as close to a speedster as a b2k can be but not actually being a speedster. As far as the 500 series cars go I have seen a few of them that were not speedsters at callaway. There was supposed to be 10 500 series cars built, Callaway wanted the last 10 cars to be 500 series cars. A few of those cars were speedsters. Most of the speedsters built were before the 500 series cars so I am not sure how they might have ended up with the badging. You definitely have a rare car. Enjoy it and hopefully we will see it a show one day.

Luigi,

Thanks for the note. Your car sounds awesome. I love the color. I will not be able to make it to Carlisle, too far.

My father bought this car off the showroom floor in 1993 on the MSO, so it has never been for sale in the private market. The dealer this car and a silver Speedster in his private collection and had them displayed on the showroom floor. They were both for sale at the time, we just couldn't swing the extra price of the Speedster. You must have seen another one for sale not mine.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, I must have confused your car with another series 500 car that was for sale a while ago.

I understand the distance issue, Carlisle is quite a distance from South Florida. How about flying in? I have done so in the past. Callaway will have a tent and there will be plenty of owners arount to meet. Reeves and the Callaway gang should be there as well. The whole Carlisle show is fantastic even when the Callaways are not the featured theme as there is now where else to see 5000+ Corvettes in one place.:D It trully is a sea of Corvettes.

Please post some pictures of your car. We would love to see it.

Best Regards,

-Luigi

Bob, Clif, if either of you plan on attending Carlisle in August, please contact me ASAP for details about the show. In another couple weeks, all reservations close, period.

Hope you guys can make the show! Chris :beer

Is this his car? Either way, beautiful medium quasar blue.

Hi Bob,

Most of the speedsters built were before the 500 series cars so I am not sure how they might have ended up with the badging.

I don't think that is right. Mine is the 2nd Speedster built (January 1991), and it is a 500 series car. However, from what I have learned (which admittedly isn't much yet), the 500 series was an extra cost option that got you, from what I can tell, only a special intercooler label. Therefore, it is possible that later Speedsters were not 500 series cars if the buyers elected not to spend the extra money (the blue South American car comes to mind).

Is the green Speedster (#1) a 500 car also?

And here is the black (Cameron's) Speedster:
61_3.jpg

vs the Yellow Pearlscent Speedster that IS a Series 500 car:
Speedster11.jpg

-Luigi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom