Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A few new guy questions

K

Klaymen

hello all. have found a ton of usuefull info here as i am a proud new owner of a 1999 Corvette and loving every second of it. but i have a odd assortment of questions i cant seem to find the answer to so i was hoping someone could help.

1. Tire roar. OMG the stock goodyear tires are so loud at about 70 it sounds like the cars gonna explode. at first i thought something was wrong with the rear but after some testing nope was just the tires screaming. so i know non-runflats are much quieter but for the peice of mind, whats some good perfoming run flats that dont sound like a tracker going down the road?

2. Pedal lag. im used to muscle cars that i build, so power usually comes on linearly, but this dbw peddle makes it unpredictable. seems half way in is like gas milage mode as its very slow then about half way in it suddenly rockets off like a scold dog.

ive seen in-line plug in peddle gizmos that suppossedly make it more linear and predictable. but was wonder do they work? and what about a power programmer? will the programmer make the gas peddle act like a normal one or do i need both?

3. im getting a borla exhoust, was wondering about the intermediate x-pipe. i think corsa and magnaflow make ones with high flow cats (strict emmisiions here in maryland) but should i run the oxygen sencors in the back or ive seen dumby O2's but not sure why run those instead of just the reg O2 itself? and who makes some good intermediate pipes. i saw borla also makes them but theres no cats on them.

4. sorry so many questions in one post. Ramps. is race ramps pretty much the only thing low enuf to actually get our cars on? i measured like the site says to and im not even sure the 72" ones will work. there pretty expensive (i know i own a vette get used to it right...)

5. anyone know where the build sheet might be hiding in the car? i saw one post that said its under the re-bar? wtf is that?

6. and i think lastly, the driving light. wow these are totaly useless. what is the point of driving lights that only light up 10' in front of you? i am hoping maybe mine are just out of adjustment maybe? if not are there any REAL driving lights that are direct replacment or close to it?

thx for any answers. I've already fixed my rocking seats, cleared my cow utters, fixed my pcv valve oil problem, and changed to an optima battery after reading several post here!

I agree with 6 shooter on tires ,the original GY RF's are terrible after they wear a little .Depending on your type of driving you can modify your alignment spec to get 40,000 plus miles out of a new set of tires .

Welcome ,I'd respond to more questions but at my age I only remember the tire issue :blue:

Hi, and welcome. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to answer any of your questions (sigh), but I can extend a welcome. There are lot's of folks that can help. Also if you do some searches you will come up with a lot of answers. :thumb

I'd agree with shooter on the tires and the exhaust....although I went with the "pace car" version. I love my Michelins too. The gas peddle takes some getting used to, after a year I think I've got it, or I've just gotten used to it.

OK, what is this "gas pedal" issue...I don't noitice anything different...mine is an '04. :confused

1. junk 'em
  2. never had that issue, maybe something is wrong
  3. I passed on all that crap
  4. Rhino Ramps work and only cost around 40 bucks
  5. you have to pull the nose to get at it
  6. they are easily adjusted and use 885's unless you want to upgrade the complete unit
    hello all. have found a ton of usuefull info here as i am a proud new owner of a 1999 Corvette and loving every second of it. but i have a odd assortment of questions i cant seem to find the answer to so i was hoping someone could help.
1. Tire roar. OMG the stock goodyear tires are so loud at about 70 it sounds like the cars gonna explode. at first i thought something was wrong with the rear but after some testing nope was just the tires screaming. so i know non-runflats are much quieter but for the peice of mind, whats some good perfoming run flats that dont sound like a tracker going down the road?

2. Pedal lag. im used to muscle cars that i build, so power usually comes on linearly, but this dbw peddle makes it unpredictable. seems half way in is like gas milage mode as its very slow then about half way in it suddenly rockets off like a scold dog.

ive seen in-line plug in peddle gizmos that suppossedly make it more linear and predictable. but was wonder do they work? and what about a power programmer? will the programmer make the gas peddle act like a normal one or do i need both?

3. im getting a borla exhoust, was wondering about the intermediate x-pipe. i think corsa and magnaflow make ones with high flow cats (strict emmisiions here in maryland) but should i run the oxygen sencors in the back or ive seen dumby O2's but not sure why run those instead of just the reg O2 itself? and who makes some good intermediate pipes. i saw borla also makes them but theres no cats on them.

4. sorry so many questions in one post. Ramps. is race ramps pretty much the only thing low enuf to actually get our cars on? i measured like the site says to and im not even sure the 72" ones will work. there pretty expensive (i know i own a vette get used to it right...)

5. anyone know where the build sheet might be hiding in the car? i saw one post that said its under the re-bar? wtf is that?

6. and i think lastly, the driving light. wow these are totaly useless. what is the point of driving lights that only light up 10' in front of you? i am hoping maybe mine are just out of adjustment maybe? if not are there any REAL driving lights that are direct replacment or close to it?

thx for any answers. I've already fixed my rocking seats, cleared my cow utters, fixed my pcv valve oil problem, and changed to an optima battery after reading several post here!

ty all. for pedal lag i dont mean its slow to react. its just not a linear output of power compaired to pedal angle. seems like 0-50% of pedal is very tame and slow, seems i have to push the pedal more to keep speeds on highway hills and such. but 50% into pedal it suddenly has all this power come on (and no its not from the downshift) it just seems to suddenly "feel" like a vette half way in to pedal. from what iuve read apparently this is normal for drive by wires. just fiurst time ive driven one.

so i see they make those adaptors that plug into the pedal top, but by now ive just ogtten used to having to push the pedal alot more then a normal car for spirited excelleration, but will a power programmer fix some of that or do i just have to get used to it?

Hello and Welcome!!! I have the same vehicle, year color and all. Mine is a vert.

1) Michelin Sport and an AAA+ membership
2)I don't have the pedal issue so I'm not certain how to answer
3) I have the Borla quad on mine with the matching Borla crossover. It is loud and definately added a bunch of HP. I also have the K&N air filter system. Adds about 10 more horses.
4) All others are things I don't have answers for although you said you just fixed the seat rocking problem. I just modified mine last week. Since I had the seats out, I decided to add seat bottom and seat back heaters also. Looks good and feels great. Can't wait until it gets cold to actually enjoy them.
I'm a TERP myself.
Best Regards
Dave GO CAPS, SKINS,WIZARDS, and O's (ROCK THE RED!!!!)

welcome to the club

1. Replaced OEM GYs with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs and never looked back. Have a vert and the difference in noise and handling is unbelievable. Still makes some noise over 90 MPH. Thats a rag top for you.

4. Go with Rhino GREY ramps. 12000# versus 8000# for the black ones and about $10 more. Don't want 3000+ pounds on your chest.

6. 885 lamps are 50 watts not 35 or so for the OEM lamps. Park about 20 feet from a flat light wall or garage door and use a Torx screwdriver to reain them as high as your low beams at the same distance. Can almost drive at night with just the fog lights on with the 885s and reaiming.
Can only adjust the fogs up and down but its fine.

1. junk 'em
  2. never had that issue, maybe something is wrong
  3. I passed on all that crap
  4. Rhino Ramps work and only cost around 40 bucks
  5. you have to pull the nose to get at it
  6. they are easily adjusted and use 885's unless you want to upgrade the complete unit

Ditto on all + a couple comments.

Some runflats are better than others, but you really should consider ditching them on a performance car. Stock Z06s came stock with non-runflats, and included a compressor and plug kit in one of the rear compartments. I made one of my own for my coupe, and ran BFG non-runflats.

Get the GRAY Rhino Ramps (higher rated). They are prety cheap at Wal*Mart. Even with these low-profile ramps, you may scrape the rubber air dam if your car is lowered at all. Mine was extemely low (running coilovers),yet I was still able to get up my Rhino Ramps w/o incident by placing a 2x6 plank in front of each ramp and by trimming down the air dam 1" with a Dremel (no adverse affect with cooling or lift). In any event, the rubber peices are hinged and cheap to replace.

I have a 66 with a 454 4 speed (far from stock and very responsive), a 92 six speed and a 2002 with and automatic. I thought the pedal on the 2002 is as you describe (gas saver-then go power). I drive my 02 in 3rd until I get on the highway. It is much more responsive around town in 3rd. Yes, I shift it but not as much as a manual trans. It does not change the gas mileage that much. I think you can have it reprogrammed for better shift points. I think it is something you will have to get used to considering your muscle car background.

yes 454 ive noticed dropping it into 3rd seems to help alot. and im getting used to it, just still wierd you have to push the gas pedal so much to get a reaction. drove my old monte ss other day and you just barely touch the pedal and it screams.

now im just waiting on ups to show up, got msd blaster coils, borla exhaust, k&n filter and a programmer showing up. now i just have to mess with the seats again, fixed the sliding problume with the shims in the adjusters but now it has a rocking to it, i can push back on seat and it kinda pops forward. like its rocking on loose attachments..

thought i was done with these damn seats...

Cool upgrades ! Sounds like you will be able to change the shift points and get some extra ponies. All your comments and questions were interesting because I had many of the same issues when I bought the 2002 (seems everyone does). I really don't like all the road noise and that is the reason I never changed the exhaust. I did not want any more noise. I still have the seat issue that really ticks me off and have had several window problems along with headlight problems. But...... everytime I see another C5 or C6 I think that it is one nice looking car and feel blessed to have owned one. Good luck with the upgrades and let us know how much you love them :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom