Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: A new way to check a corvettes history

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
As reported on ABC NEWS last night, the federal goverment has launched a website that tracks automobiles VIN's which have been totally wrecked, repaired and resold to the public without being properly fixed.

www.nmvtis.gov and isn't fully complete but is 3/4 workable, it will be complete in a year ( Have virtually every automobile VIN on record within the next year) It is much better than Carfax as it is more comprehensive sweep of the cars Vin locations and title status. This all came about because a couple of teenagers were in a wreck in Texas and one boy died, his airbag deployed but,. . . Was filled with rolled up paper instead of air.:w

OK so anybody can find the location of any vehicle ? Does that mean it gives the name of the current owner... I think that is against the privacy act. I can not take a vin number and go to the dmv and get the owners name.

Glenn
:w

Ah, No! I tried it on a 2003 Monte Carlo and it shows where the car was bought new and how long it stayed in that state and where it's been since then. I idea is to give you a mile by mile list of where the car has been, if it was flooded, or wreaked at any point in it's life, and where the car is now. (More or less) but it doesn't give out any owners information. The Monte Carlo I tried for $2.50 was bought ne in AZ and live there for four years and then the car was sold and went to California, where it is at a delership in Van Nuys. The purpose of this website is you can check the milage of any car, where and when it's been registered, any missing gaps in the milage can be investigated or at least known.

The government is trying to keep wreaked and dangerous cars off the streeets, but they recommend you use Carfax and any other sources to gain information about a car that you want to purchase. Just another tool, but a more comprehensive one as it gatheres info from insurance companies, wreaking yards and every state DOT and the registrations. Also it's going to take another year before it has all the data it needs. The problem up to now is that a lot of cars are in a accident or wreaked, and the insurance company pays off the claim and sends the car to a wreaking yard for dismantaling, but body shop owners have a way to buy the car from the yard, patch it up, wash the title and resell the car. A year or so later, you buy the car with what you think is a clean title ( often you never actually see the title) only to discover the car is a POS and has been badly repaired and shouldn't be on the road at all. That's the goal, that wreaked car are distroyed, not resold.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom