Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A real Pace Car, Opinions Welcomed

Corvette
1986, Dark Red Coupe. '02 EB Z-06, '78 L-82 P.C.
OK guys….I need your thoughts on this plan. For the past 6 months I’ve been pondering the idea of a new engine for the Pace Car (PC) and I think I’ve come up with the solution. I decided to go with the ZZ 383:eek:hnoes. I’ve discussed my choice many a bunch with Todd and he thinks that the ZZ would be a serious upgrade from the current pony motor. In a nut shell here is what I want to do:

1. ZZ 383 (425/425). Pickle the original engine and store.
2. TH350 C tranny. Pickle the original and store.
3. Hooker headers with 4” chrome side pipes. I’ve always liked side pipes on these cars.
4. 750 Demon Carb.
5. High capacity Alum radiator.
6. While I have the engine out, R&R all front bushings, shocks, ECT.

The thing I am not sure of is the intake. GM recommends the single plane (PN: 12496822) UNLESS you have a hood clearance problem. Then a dual plane (PN:12366573) is recommended. But with the dual plane you lose around 15-20 ponies. I want to keep the stock hood. Can I get away with using the single plane or do I need to consider the dual plane?

The reason I’m doing this is because I love driving this car. I recently read in Vette mag that a lot of guys are using these GM crate engines in the older cars so that they can drive them without the fear of trashing the numbers matching engine. To me this is a no brainer when it comes to folks who want to drive these cars instead of letting them become garage queens.

So chime in…let me know what you guys think;help……Todd where are you:cool? The "Skunk Works" project is about to begin;). This project gets underway the end of next month so I can have it ready by this spring. I have found a really good deal on the engine so I am ready to pull the trigger. Also, I will have it at Carlisle.

Thanks.

HD

You have a "real" Pace Car. Stock L-82 four speeds were used to pace the race that year.

Why not leave it stock?

:)

You have a "real" Pace Car. Stock L-82 four speeds were used to pace the race that year.

Why not leave it stock?

:)

I guess I should say I have one of the PC Replicas. L-82 auto. The reason I stated a "REAL PACE CAR" is I think with 425 ponies I can give the Indy drivers some fun:chuckle, wave at the grandstand crowd as I flash by:w, and just have fun with a cool car:cool.

Why not leave it stock?
It currently has 74k on the clock Thus, not a low miles car. My plan is to keep the original engine and tranny so if I decide to sell it someday it will be complete. The ZZ383 will fit the car and IMO is an excellent replacement so I can drive the car. I talked to some of the guys at GM Performance parts and they also seemed to agree that the ZZ would be a perfect match for the car.

:w
HD

I say go for it. I think it's a great idea, the faster the better!:_rock

With Vettes being priced the way they are right now, why not leave your original, and buy a hot rodded one to play with? With the amount of $$ you plan on spending on your car, you could buy a pretty nice hot rod Vette.

In fact I just saw a '72 hot rod coupe on E-Bay for $7500 buy it now, and the bids are at $2500.

Oh boy. so far I have 2 who say leave it alone and one who says go for it.

This idea of mine cropped out of the Nov. vette mag. Some guy had a nice '63 that he wanted to drive and have a little fun in. He was worried that the original engine would be trashed. So he did a swap and and put one of these 383's in and now can drive the car without the fear of trashing his numbers matching engine. The great thing about the 383 is that NO mods are required. It is simply plug and have a little fun. Yea, I am looking at around $9k to do the car right. But it will be one hell-of-a set up. Great thing is I'll still have the original engine to go with the car.

Keep'em coming. I'm listening.

HD

Go fer it! A 383 is a 350 block so....it would fit in the exact same way as the original. Normal people looking at it would still think its the stock engine..the only thing is the internals are different. You have made a wise decision to keep the original. Its a "simple" swap. Id do it. the air cleaner should fit. For a while i had a single plane on my 79 and it cleared....barely...but it cleared. Just remember.....its your car! your opinion is the most important!

zachh

Go fer it! A 383 is a 350 block so....it would fit in the exact same way as the original. Normal people looking at it would still think its the stock engine..the only thing is the internals are different. You have made a wise decision to keep the original. Its a "simple" swap. Id do it. the air cleaner should fit. For a while i had a single plane on my 79 and it cleared....barely...but it cleared. Just remember.....its your car! your opinion is the most important!

zachh

Howdy Zachh. Nice to see a fellow CAC member in the local area. I live about 20 miles South of the Chesapeake line.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head about the swap.

I see that you have a '79 and that you once had a single plane intake on the car. So did you end up taking it off? I guess if worse came to worse I could use an after market, low profile air clear. I hate the thought of losing that much HP by going the dual plane intake.

Like I said, everything on the outside will look stock....including the L-82 on the hood. It could be a bad day for the Ricer (or Dogged Hemi) who picks on the the old vette:chuckle.

...Git-R-Done! :beer
:lou

L8TR - D

Thanks 6-shooter I knew you would support me;). I just wanted to see what the masses would say.

HD

I say go for it Len. Sounds like a good plan to me!

-JS

I say go for it Len. Sounds like a good plan to me!

-JS

John,
how are things going buddy. Glad to hear from you.

Thanks for the encouragement. Todd is the instigator of all this;). I think some of his "NEED FOR SPEED" attitude has worn off onto me:D. Word has it that you've been looking at C-6s. Nice car and if you get one you will have a nice ride.

The PC project starts the end of next month. I'm currently changing engines and doing some other work to the boat. Got to get it ready for the upcoming spring for some serious fishing. So the PC transplant is on hold until I'm done with the boat project:upthumbs. See what happens when you move home....all sorts of projects just seem to appear:chuckle.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm trying to get Todd down here for some of the work. I think though he is planning on heading down around the end of May...just in time for Chopper Blue fishing. Heck, if you get the chance come on down with him.

Nice hearing from you and stay in touch.

HD

John,
how are things going buddy. Glad to hear from you.

Thanks for the encouragement. Todd is the instigator of all this;). I think some of his "NEED FOR SPEED" attitude has worn off onto me:D. Word has it that you've been looking at C-6s. Nice car and if you get one you will have a nice ride.

The PC project starts the end of next month. I'm currently changing engines and doing some other work to the boat. Got to get it ready for the upcoming spring for some serious fishing. So the PC transplant is on hold until I'm done with the boat project:upthumbs. See what happens when you move home....all sorts of projects just seem to appear:chuckle.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm trying to get Todd down here for some of the work. I think though he is planning on heading down around the end of May...just in time for Chopper Blue fishing. Heck, if you get the chance come on down with him.

Nice hearing from you and stay in touch.

HD
That's right, it was all my idea hehe. You know Heavy is totally into doing this and I just gave him a slight nudge, but then, the more we've discussed it, the more he gets pumped. Me too ofcourse. ;) In my opinion, it is going to be so bad azz, +425hp and I can't wait to see it with the big 4" chrome side pipes is going to set it off. http://www.mamotorworks.com/opener.htm?618993+618993It is going to look and sound just wonderful. :cool To turn it back to numbers matching stock will be simple too. Len especially has read up on storing the original engine and trans. and he knows exactly what to do to protect them. This year at Carlisle, all here will be able to stop in and see what a nice job he did on it, that goes without saying. He hasn't mentioned it here yet, but refurbishing the engine bay, bushings and everything up front while he is at it, is the smart thing to do for sure. John, if you want to go down to beautiful North Carolina with me for some fishing, you are very welcome to ride along, hell I'll even come pick you up. That is going to be a good time. We'll definitely be catching some stripers and a buzz as well. :beer Well, I guess I don't have to say, "go for it Len", you know where I stand on this whole matter. I can't wait to see and hear about it from start to finish. :upthumbs

383 sounds like a plan! Plug & Play all the way!!

-Mac

MAC and Todd, thanks for the push.

Todd this serves as a prelude to your project. As I said last night...let me know if you get in a pinch. The Green Hornet and the car hauler are standing by.

I would like to have my little project done by May but will settle for Aug. One thing for sure is that I'll take my time and try and do a good job on this. So that means no beer while working on the car:chuckle. OK, may be one or two to help one's brain work a little better and problem solving:D.

Hey Todd you need to ride John so he comes down here with you for some fishing.

HD

Todd this serves as a prelude to your project. As I said last night...let me know if you get in a pinch. The Green Hornet and the car hauler are standing by.

I would like to have my little project done by May but will settle for Aug. One thing for sure is that I'll take my time and try and do a good job on this. So that means no beer while working on the car:chuckle. OK, may be one or two to help one's brain work a little better and problem solving:D.

HD
I hear that. Hopefully John is listening here. Yes, I

HD
I hear that. Hopefully John is listening here. Yes, I would be happy to be done also by August. I'll be running around for dyno tuning around then ;)

..... it's YOURS, so do as you please!
:upthumbs

Here's a few pictures of another C3, painted-up to look-like a '78 Pace Car with sidepipes, but this version also has two 4-barrels, sitting on a tunnel-ram intake, under a Pro Stock style snorkle-scoop:

Mvc-6004fs.jpg

Mvc-9004fs.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/pacecar454/

while you are at it slip in a 700R4 behnd that 383. as far as manifolds go single planes generally make more power up top while the dual panes make better torque and power lower
Why not go with EFI while your at it I think one of the dealers sells a 383 ram jet

..... it's YOURS, so do as you please!
:upthumbs

Here's a few pictures of another C3, painted-up to look-like a '78 Pace Car with sidepipes, but this version also has two 4-barrels, sitting on a tunnel-ram intake, under a Pro Stock style snorkle-scoop:

Mvc-6004fs.jpg

Mvc-9004fs.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/pacecar454/

That's what I'm talking about. Now that is one hell of a pace car. Very capable of giving the Indy drivers a run for their money;LOL.

On another note...I called the place that has the engine I want (Tommy Johnsons Motorsports Warehouse, Denver, NC). Turns out they have what sounds like one heck of a deal. They have a 384 CID ready to go. Turns out this engine was built by Vaseleniuck Engine Development. Theses guys build engines for NASCAR, BUSCH, and Pro Series race teams. Reading their Bio looks like they have been in the business for 40+ years. I know that Denver, NC is one of the hotbeds for NASCAR teams. From what I gather this engine was a joint venture between EdelBrock and Vaseleniuck. The engine is as follows:

1. Dyno: 420/457 HP/TQ
2. Block completely redone, stress honed, bored .040 over, magna fluxed, 4-bolt mains.
3. Crank: SCAT 3.75 stroke cast.
4. Rods: SCAT 6.000" forged
5. Pistons: KB Hyperutectic
6. Rings: Hastings Moly Race
7. Bearings: ACL Race series
8. Cam: EdelBrock 7102 flat tappet 234/244
9. Heads: EdelBrock 60989 Vortec
10. Intake: EdelBrock Performer RPM
11. Carb: EdelBrock 1405 600 CFM (I bet a 750 CFM would get this upto 450 ponies)
12. Rocker Arms: Proform 1.5:1 Roller Rockers
13. Distributor: Proform

MAX HP/RPM on current setup: 750/7500 RPM

Price: $5100 out the door, starter, wires, looms included.

So what do you guys think? Anyone ever hear of either of these guys? Like I said I know that Denver, NC is NASCAR country and if there is such a thing as a NASCAR Skunk Works, Denver and Charlotte, NC is where you would look to find it. I know that EdelBrock is trying to get into the crate engine department. This engine sounds like it may have been a test mule.

HD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom