Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

affordable performance

Thinkspore

Corvette
1993 black on black 6 speed stock (for now)
hey!

well, i'm on a budget.... $800 to be exact.

what can i do to my 93 lt1 vette to add THE MOST possible horse power for UNDER $800??

how much power would whatever options you'll list give me?

THANKS!
Mitch

-------
Mitch
http://www.thinkspore.com/hosting

A set of Long tube headers would be my choice. Probably figure around 30 extra ponies at the rear wheels.

1) It's unlikely you'll be able to install a set of "long-tube" headers for 800 or less.
2) Even if you could, headers alone won't gain 30-hp at the wheels. You'd have to do a lot more than just the headers...like the rest of the exhaust, different cats and ECM calibration and that would total way more than $800.

If the goal is adding the most horsepower for 800 bucks, I'd go looking for a nitrous oxide injection system. If you can find one for your engine that gets under the 800 dollar limit, you'd be looking at 75-100 horsepower.

yeah the nitros is kinda what i thought too, but i'm looking for something i can run constantly and don't want to burn up the motor.. i dont drag race, i just want more pulling / passing power. not that 300 divided by 6 gears isn't enough, but.. you know... 400 is better.

you know... so i can pass the rice burners in 3rd gear from a dead stop..

just kidding...

so rather than 800, what about 1200? i know there's a lot i can do for that... ?

i keep seeing this thing you can put on your throttle body that supposedly creates less turbulence etc, and they sell it with a 3 filtered intake and a bunch of other stuff.. does this work? I'm leery of small metal non moving parts that promise 25hp at the wheels for 30 bucks.

A 'good' cat back exhaust can gain 10-15 HP and is in that price range. I prefer Corsa for the C4 but it costs a little more than that.
A computer tune using a dyno may gain some but that's hard to say just how much and the cost can be $300 to $500 or more.
Biggest bang for the buck is nitros but it has the limitations you noted and you'd still want a better exhaust to handle the extra HP.

If you want to go from 300 SAE corrected to 400 SAE corrected and do it for 1200 bucks the ONLY solution is nitrous oxide.

ok 2500? (requires some saving obviously)

I went from 250-ish at the rear wheels to 330-ish with my old '92 LT1 after doing an LT4 conversion. That's an 80+ HP gain - more was probably available with injector and throttle body changes.

My conversion included Corsa exhaust and a new computer chip but the cost was more in the line of 3500 to 4000.

You might search here for LT1 to LT4 conversion threads for more info.

i guess the main thing is that i dont want to put too much more into the car than i'll ever get back out of it...I'm not going to keep it forever and I've been down that road before. I put 6,000 into a car that i spent 15 for and i ended up getting about 8500 for it. :ugh

{{{not as bad as the 85 rx 7 i bought once though! ----MISTAKE!!!!---- bought it for 1500 put 1500 into it, within a month (about 60 miles) driving down the freeway a coolant hose burst and the engine FRIED.. it would have cost another 3000 to put a new motor in it (plus labor).. i ended up getting 500 for the car.. i was livid at best.. #@$#!% rotory engines.}}}

but i think no matter what cars in general are a losing investment. I've seen lingenfelter modded cars for sale all over for pretty much the value of what the car would be worth stock plus 1 to 5k and its what.. a 20k investment to put one of those motors in said and done?

With Corvettes, it's the heart not the mind that controls! ;)

If you want it, do it.
If you worry about resale value, don't do it.

A reasonably cheap mod is 1.6 roller rockers (part of that LT4 conversion Tuna talked about). LT4 valve springs, retainers added in to that and you can add 10-15 for around $350-400.

how noticeable is 10-15 horses really when you're starting with 300? just curious.

Keep it stock and go to the bunny ranch:Buttslap:naughty:

A reasonably cheap mod is 1.6 roller rockers (part of that LT4 conversion Tuna talked about). LT4 valve springs, retainers added in to that and you can add 10-15 for around $350-400.

1.6 roller tip rockers, a set of ebay headers, and work you've done yourself could get you around 20hp.

Change the rear gear, you will feel like you added 200 hp while leaving eveything in the engine bay stock.

here are some performance parts for your vette this should be alot of help for the lt1 engine

vette 93
part price site
bbk 58mm throttle body 319.99 www.summitracing.com
slp performance tri-filter 267.95 www.summitracing.com
hooker headers 2151 679.95 www.summitracing.com
jet performance chip 19317s 157.69 www.summitracing.com
jet performance pulleys 90141 299.95 www.summitracing.com
slp thermostat 160° 26.96 www.lmperformance.com
4.11 dana 44 ring & pinion 439.95 www.tkoperformance.com
magnaflow muffler 15623 415.95 www.summitracing.com $2,608.39

Skip the 58mm TB and the pulley, both of which are dubious in their actual performance improvements (because the engine won't flow enough air to use a 58 and there will be little or no gain with the pulleys) and you'll be under your $2500 limit.

With all that, you'll go from 300-hp SAE to about 330-hp. You'll pick up another three tenths with the 4.10 axle as long as you have the tires to get the back of the car to hook.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom