Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

After Market Muffler Question

L82 Shark

Corvette
1979 Red L-82
Hi, I currently have the back "Y" pipe and mufflers out of the car while I replace the spring and "U" joints. What I need to know is if I wanted to replace the mufflers for more of a roar on acceleration but would be very civil at cruise speed, what do you recomend and where can I get them? If they are too extreme I will hear about it from the boss.:rotfl I also need them to look stock on the outside.:eyerole
:beer Thanks

Flowmaster and DynoMax are a start. You can get them online or at most custom exhaust shops. Bring them up online and take a look to figure out what type you want. There are audio clips you can listen to to help you decide. I'm sure there are some other manufacturer's you could go with while maintaining a stock appearance. Someone else will mention some others.

I put Flowmaster D50's on my 72, but now i'm thinking of switching to the D40's. The D50s are, imo, too loud for my residential neighborhood, although they sound great on the boulevard. I listened to the audio clips on line, but they only give you a sense of the sound, not the volume.

Thanks for the info. I just went to the flowmaster site and according to their chart the 50 series should be softer in sound than the 40 series.
;shrug:bash I guess I will just stay with what was on the car till I hear one set up the way I want it. I am lost right now.

I have the Flowmaster Delta Flow 50's on my car and love them.(although now i want side pipes)They have a deep sound but are not obnoxious.The 40's are definitly louder than the 50's.The 40's are the old 2 chambers and the 50's are the old 3 chambers.

I got two for ya. Dynomax Super Turbos and Summit Racing brand Turbo mufflers. Dynomax Super Turbos have some throat to em but are expensive compared to Summits. The Summit mufflers are part number SUM-630225. Haven't tried these myself but sound good in some youtube videos. The Summit mufflers are more stock looking than the Dynomax mufflers. Mount the Super Turbos with the logo facing up and it'll look stock. I'd go for the Summit ones cause they look stock, bargain price, and won't get louder over time.

I have not made a decision but I was wondering what folks thought about Magnaflow mufflers.:eek:hnoes If I get the Flowmaster 40's who has the best deal on the internet that you know of and what is the part number for my 79 L-82.;shrug

Sorry in advance to all the Flowmaster followers.

I've had Blowmasters, they put way to much noise inside the car. I'm currently running magnaflows on my Vette and my LS6 Cadillac, the Magnaflows put the sound out the back (good design) and in everyone elses face which is where the sound belongs. They are quite at cruise and LOWD when you step in it. I got pulled over in my Vette by a Cop that wanted know what kind of pipes I was running so he could put them in his Chevy (I was WOT, luckily he didn't write me for hauling azz). My LS6 sounds like a friggin' race car when I'm blowing someones doors off.

Flowmasters make you feel like you are sitting inside a drum compared to the Magnaflows. They make long trips much, much longer. I'll never, ever put them on a car again.

My Dad had them on his ZR1, we hated them on that car as well.

I'm personally not a Flowmaster fan, and I don't think that I'm THAT old. Anyway, I put on a set from Paragon, they are listed as "off road" mufflers. Of course, meaning race track as opposed to 4X4. They have one less baffle than stock. I absolutely love them. I don't know what model Flowmasters I had, but I couldn't stand the noise. These have a nice sound for cruising, and sound pretty cool when I get on it.

Well all the choices are above and I have sold them all. If you want quiet and power your best bet is Walker direct fit. They actually had a lifetime warrantee with them. The next choice is also by Walker sold under the Dynomax brand. These are the best of the universal mufflers for both sound and power. The other universal mufflers, flowmaster, megaflows ect. are extremely noisy. Your not told this and they dont take mufflers back. Popular with Mustangs and Camaros and in my opinion not worthy of a Vette installation.

Well all the choices are above and I have sold them all. If you want quiet and power your best bet is Walker direct fit. They actually had a lifetime warrantee with them. The next choice is also by Walker sold under the Dynomax brand. These are the best of the universal mufflers for both sound and power. The other universal mufflers, flowmaster, megaflows ect. are extremely noisy. Your not told this and they dont take mufflers back. Popular with Mustangs and Camaros and in my opinion not worthy of a Vette installation.

The Magnaflows are only noisy when you stand on it, I found the flowmasters to be headache in a can with high levels of resonance and interior noise at most times. Since I've had both, I know this to be true. I had Dynomax mufflers on my car for few days, I took them off directly because they were way to quite (almost stock sounding).

To each his own.

Heres Walker Dynomax on my 67 L78 Camaro as there are no direct fit mufflers for the pony cars.

I have this all screwed up but you can get the general idea. What you hear is horsepower not objectional noise. :upthumbs

flowmasters

I love my flowmasters but they do give you a headache after awhile. In my car forget about listening to music or using a cell phone but I wouldn't trade them for anything else LOL.

I have Flow Masters on my Vette and i am happy with them. I would like something with a deeper rumble.

I have Dyno Max on my Mustang GT. They a lot louder. I tend to set off car alarms when i start it. Too loud in my opinion.

I didn't buy the mufflers, so I can't tell you which type are installed.

I would recommend going to car shows or Corvette Club meetings and talking to people. Listen to cars running, find the sound you like, and ask the owner what is on the car.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom