Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport After Market Warranty Question

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

MM-C5

Corvette
2013 Cyber Grey Grand Sport Coupe
My 2013 Grand Sport has 18,000 miles and will run out of the factory warranty in a few months. I have been looking at extended warranties but am experiencing major sticker shock at the prices. Things have gone up considerably from what I had in the past and most seem to want to include items that would still be covered under the 100K provisions.

What other systems have a track record of failing that would justify the exorbitant expense of the extended warranty? ;shrug

Climate control is one system that comes to mind as wear/age sensitive. When things go south with the A/C $1,200 seems to be the starting point for the repair bill. Like any extended warranty, a major consideration is "peace of mind" and no huge UNEXPECTED outlays.

Also remember the GM extended plan has a MSRP. If you shop carefully on the net, you will find dealers who substantially undercut the MSRP.

Climate control is one system that comes to mind as wear/age sensitive. When things go south with the A/C $1,200 seems to be the starting point for the repair bill. Like any extended warranty, a major consideration is "peace of mind" and no huge UNEXPECTED outlays.

Also remember the GM extended plan has a MSRP. If you shop carefully on the net, you will find dealers who substantially undercut the MSRP.
Thanks! I'm doing the research now but the prices are horrendous....and I haven't checked with GM yet! :ugh

My 2013 Grand Sport has 18,000 miles and will run out of the factory warranty in a few months. I have been looking at extended warranties but am experiencing major sticker shock at the prices. Things have gone up considerably from what I had in the past and most seem to want to include items that would still be covered under the 100K provisions.

What other systems have a track record of failing that would justify the exorbitant expense of the extended warranty? ;shrug

It's usually electrical items that will give the most problems, but if you do experience any powertrain repairs they will give you sticker shock. When you shop for any warranty, make sure that you price zero deductible's. If you have a deductible, then every time you have a claim the price of the policy just went up with basically no cap on the policy depending on the amount of claims. And yes, the prices are very negotiable. Just something to think about. :)

It's usually electrical items that will give the most problems, but if you do experience any powertrain repairs they will give you sticker shock. When you shop for any warranty, make sure that you price zero deductible's. If you have a deductible, then every time you have a claim the price of the policy just went up with basically no cap on the policy depending on the amount of claims. And yes, the prices are very negotiable. Just something to think about. :)
Thanks! I agree with everything you've said, although I had no real idea that prices were negotiable.

Judging from past performance with the C5 and the avg miles I drove it and my 09, I'm beginning to think the cost of "comfort" may not be worth it. The good news is that I still have time for research. :w

Thanks! I agree with everything you've said, although I had no real idea that prices were negotiable.

Judging from past performance with the C5 and the avg miles I drove it and my 09, I'm beginning to think the cost of "comfort" may not be worth it. The good news is that I still have time for research. :w

Yes, there is a pretty good mark up in aftermarket and OEM insurance policies. Your playing it smart shopping early, and you are correct if you don't use it you will be wasting your money.

Keep in mind that there are many spiffs attached to the insurance sellers salary, the end of the month will generally give you your strongest bargaining power. Good luck with your choice. :)

Yes, there is a pretty good mark up in aftermarket and OEM insurance policies. Your playing it smart shopping early, and you are correct if you don't use it you will be wasting your money.

Keep in mind that there are many spiffs attached to the insurance sellers salary, the end of the month will generally give you your strongest bargaining power. Good luck with your choice. :)
:thumb Thanks again. I stopped in this morning to talk with the Service Manager I have dealt with since 2003 and the C5. Before doing so, I did some calculations on my past driving with the C5, the 09, and what I have done to date on the GS.

Judging from that, and looking at a 5 yr Extd Warranty, I would have approximately 50K miles on the car at the end of the warranty term.

The Service Manager went over a print out of all items covered on the Factory 100K powertrain warranty then stated that they see very few Corvettes with major service problems within the range of miles I would anticipate accumulating.

Now, when I factor in that there is at least a 50/50 chance that I'd trade during the next 5 yrs, the outlay is making less and less sense.

The other good news is that I do not need to make a decision until September.

Thanks again. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom