Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Cleaner Seal ?

CAPNZ

Corvette
1973 White coupe
My 73 had a new Air Cleaner on it but no adapter ring or Air to Hood Seal. I bought these both and I'm not sure how the seal goes on. I looked at a number of 454 vette pictures from the internet and some of them looked like the people put them on upside down. OK, I think I got it streched on properly because there's a fat side and a thin side on the rubber seal. The thin side has a little lip on it that seems to fit under the lip on the seal adapter. Thing is, when I close the hood it slips off on one side. Do you think I should glue it in place around the adapter ring?
TIA
"Jeff"

The repo seals don't fit worth a d*mn. Usually too big, and you need to trim an inch or two off the end and retape it. The profile of the rubber part is not correct and will stand out like a sore thumb at a judging meet also.

Mike

Yes, Mike is correct. I had to trim mine and re-glue the ends together with 3M trim adhesive. I might have a picture somewhere if someone else doesn't chime in with one, I'll post one when I get home. I don't think I used adhesive to glue it to the ring.

Bill

Corvette Central said it's the correct one. ??????
It seems to fit pretty tight because it takes two people to stretch it on.
Man I hope I didn't get ripped off.
"Jeff"

Well if it fits pretty tight you might have the right one then. Someone told me once people were selling seals for Camaro air cleaners to people with Corvettes thinking they were the same, that's why they were too big. Maybe they gave you the correct one. Man wouldn't that be a switch huh, actually getting the right part from an aftermarket place!!!!!!!!!
It shouldn't be too awful tight, make sure your putting it on the correct side, they don't make much sense when you look at them for orentation. I'll send you a picture later.

BIG THANKS!
Before I glue it on.
TIA
"JEFF"

Sorry for the delay.......it's a ***** to get old!!!!!! Attached are a couple of pictures, hope they help, and mine is not glued to the housing.

I have trouble uploading larger files, if they aren't detailed enough, send me your email address.

Bill

Bill, My original one on my 75 SB looks similar to these pics. Mine seems to have a bit more ridge on the lip, but it looks like it's mounted the same. For what it's worth.
Glenn

Bill, thanks a million for the time you took UL these. BUT, I'm still confused. The center picture looks like the thinner side, ( with the lip), goes towards the top. But the third picture looks like it's on the bottom of the adapter the way I put mine on. ?????
TIA
"Jeff"

Also Bill, I got my 73 Vette Assembly Manual yesterday and I looked at the picture on page 269 for the Air Cleaner and the seal doesn't look like yours or mine. And it looks like they glued it on. SEAL PART# 330524. MAN, I'M REALLY CORN-FUSED NOW!

"Jeff"

attachment.php

CAPNZ said:
Bill, thanks a million for the time you took UL these. BUT, I'm still confused. The center picture looks like the thinner side, ( with the lip), goes towards the top. But the third picture looks like it's on the bottom of the adapter the way I put mine on. ?????
TIA
"Jeff"

Hi Jeff,

The center picture shows the carb side to the right. There's a small groove on that side that slips over the ring. The right picture is looking down at the side that "mates" to the carb and I'm pulling back that groove where it goes around the adapter.

If you set the gasket on the ground with the small groove on the bottom it should look like the first picture. Look at the contour of the gasket in the middle picture and try to match it up to yours.

Bill

This is the one I bought Bill. I called Corvette Central and the tech guy says it's the correct one.?????

I can't tell from the pic very well but it looks a little different. Mine isn't glued so I'll take it off when I get home and shoot you a picture.

Thanks VERY much guy. Where might I buy the right one?
I got 30 days to return. The tech guy says you got to glue it on. So does the assembly manual. ??? But I think my repo is wrong.
TIA
"JEFF"

Here's the latest "offering". Hope it helps. As far as getting one that's right if yours really is wrong, maybe try GM, but I'm betting yours is correct. Like I said, mine is not glued and it's never moved a bit until tonight when I peeled it off a little to take the pictures. Does your flange look like mine? I can't tell from your picture.

Good Luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill, nice job! Yeah my flange adapter is similar to yours. But in your pictures, (the first one), the way you're holding it, that thin part with the lip to the left is what I'm trying to stretch on the flange. I see you got it facing up,(towards the hood). Let me go out and try this.
THANKS!
"Jeff"

NOPE! Mine is different. You know I have a 454. My flange is @ 18" dia. Here's the pic again from Assembly Man. I made it bigger. "Jeff"

Jeff,

I didn't know you had a 454, maybe your setup is different than mine. The pic on the left shows is with it removed from the flange slightly, you can see the lip of the flange behind it.
Don't know what to tell you, possibly they sent you one for a different application by mistake. I'm not familliar with a big block setup. Maybe you could ask 74bigblock, he may be able to help. WARVET chimed in before and said the pics I've been sending you look like his, so something must be different.

Bill

Thanks again Bill. IMO yours looks like it was put on upside down????????
Here's how mine looks on the car, albeit it slips off when I close the hood.

Ours look a little different in shape but it looks like yours is on right from what I can see in the pic. For reference, my flange measures exactly 18 1/8" in diameter. Maybe the adhesive will keep it in place.

When I first got my car the flange was missing and the gasket was new in a plactic bag in a box with some spare stuff. I bought an adapter, spent a bunch of time stripping the air cleaner and adapter and repainting them and hooked up the air solenoid that was disconnected. After a while I realized is was all a bunch of nonsense, the car doesn't run any better than it would with a chrome air cleaner and good filter. That air dam stuff is just sales hype and doesn't amount to "squat". You might consider swapping the rubber gasket for a nice chrome setup if you get too frustrated.

Good luck with everything

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom