Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Conditioning

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have a '72 with no air conditioning. Is there a way I could add air conditioning of any kind?

There should be tons of threads available via the search functionality of the site. I don't know much about it off the top of my head.
I know there was a thread a year or two going on in the C2 forum where VietNamVett retrofitted a new AC setup into his 502BB car. I think 67Heaven may have also done it, but I don't recall for sure.

I have a '72 with no air conditioning. Is there a way I could add air conditioning of any kind?
Yep,I put a "Vintage Air" in dash unit in this Bad Girl when I built her about 12 years ago!!:thumb

Img129.gif

Img128.gif

Img126.gif

Img127.gif

I put factory A/C in mine about two years after I got it. That was 1975. It might be a little harder to get some of the parts now to do it unless you got a donor car. That was basically what I did by stripping the system out of a wreck. Contrary to what a lot of "experts" at the time told me, it can be done w/o pulling the engine.

I have the OEM condenser from my 80 looking for a new home if anyone wants to make me an offer on it... :)

I have a Classic Air system in my 77. Works great and was a pretty easy install.

Contrary to what a lot of "experts" at the time told me, it can be done w/o pulling the engine.

How did you get the blower/evaporator into the car without pulling the engine out? Did you remove the blower fan from the evap casing? I'm trying to remove my factory evaporator and install a Vintage Air unit, and it will not come out in one piece (hits the header and valve cover).

Thanks!

You have to take the evap case apart and the half next to the engine will slide up since the evap is totally in the other half. Yes you'll have to take the blower motor off and VIR assy.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm half way through removing the bolts.

The Vintage Air unit all goes inside the car so there is going to be a big, empty space where the evap and blower used to be.

Not to mention a big hole in the firewall. Does the Vintage Air incorporate the heater also?

Yeah, the heater core and evaporator are all in one unit. It replaces the entire ventilation system, even the defroster, floor, and dash vent ducting. The only thing left from the original unit is the rotary control.

So from inside the car, it looks the same as the factory or does it just have vents under the dash?

It looks completely stock. You remove all of the stock ductwork and replace it with VA stuff, but it all exits through the same openings. The only exception is that on non-A/C cars, you'll have only one vent below the wiper switch rather than two. (For non A/C cars, the replacement kit comes with a vent and you have to Dremel an opening where the word "Corvette" is). Or you could just buy a bezel for a car with A/C.

If the link works, here's some info:

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/39.pdf

Here's a forum thread where a guy installs one in an early Shark.

Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system - Corvette Forum

I have the engine out of my 1980 now; I guess this is the tome to do the firewall work. It came with factory air but when I got it it was long gone. What parts do I need to check for to make sure they are there now? I may not get the A/C working now but I want to do the hard to get to stuff while the motor is out.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

I have the engine out of my 1980 now; I guess this is the tome to do the firewall work. It came with factory air but when I got it it was long gone. What parts do I need to check for to make sure they are there now? I may not get the A/C working now but I want to do the hard to get to stuff while the motor is out.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
I have an OEM condenser if you're looking for one...

I've got a condensor, compressor w/ chrome cover, hoses, VIR eliminator and all brkts. (chromed) out of my 77. Art

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom