Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Dam Damage

alan ream

Corvette
2004 Red Z06
While I'm not getting tired of really slowing down whenever I enter a driveway, I am getting tired of the front air dam hitting....regardless.

I'm told there is a fix by mounting little wheels below the front scrape bars. Anyone know who sells them, and do they work.

Thanks, Alan

Alan,
I share your pain on the noise of the air dam scraping on something. I hate that too. GM routinely tells us that those air dams were designed to take that kind of regular abuse without a problem, but I still wince whenever I hear it.

Warren S. has "shaved" a little of the bottom of his out, and he claims that helps. I don't know anything about wheels to go on the bottom of the air dam. I do know that replacement air dam parts are relatively cheap.

Unfortunately, completely removing the air dam is not an option, since part of the function of that air dam is to direct air up into your engine. So, unless you're willing to shave a bit off the bottom of the air dam, it looks like there's nothing to do but grin and bear it- and only patronize stores with "Corvette Friendly" parking lots.

-Patrick

I have heard mixed reviews about the wheels. Not all positive.

I understand that the air dam is a very cheap part to replace... but it still makes me wince every time I back out of the driveway.

Hi alan -

The wheels (which require welding them on, by the way...) only prevent the most gruesome of nose-scrapes - they will prevet the kind of damage that would be caused by , say, driving out of a steep downhill driveway to an abruptly-flat road surface - where the radiator supports would contact the ground before the nose would etc.

In other words, they only protect against a particular kind of abrasion.

Many swear by them - I get by on my instincts and refusing to navigate anything that looks like a "tank-trap".

As for the chin air-deflector (gm's terminology fo the piece).

It is designed to deflect and rotate under if it makes severe contact with anything, and it does pretty good at this.

The small metal brackets that hold it on the car (with two bolts) are prone to bending, but at the same time, they are easily bent back into shape.

And, as Tammy points out, it is a fairly inexpensive part to replace if it becomes so tattered as to be noticeable or a worry - I bought one to have as a spare for around fifty-bucks.

My opinion - just watch out for severe transitions in road surface, and I am not talking something that you would EVER see on an actual road, it would be on a driveway-to-road, or vice-versa, transition.

If you do feel the need for the "frame-savers", then here is a link -

http://www.corvettegarage.com/product/aa-frame-savers-for-c5-and-z06-corvette.html

You will notice in the installed picture on the above link that the wheels will still allow the air-deflector to make contact first , then the wheels....Oh, and it states that they can be bolted on , but that welding will make them more secure.

best regards -

mqqn

Even knowing the part is cheap and easy to fix, It still is like finger nails on the black board when it scrapes the ground.

I removed mine and cut it down but about 1 inch. (The center portion) and it made a big differance. Also after a few months of driving you just remember where not to go - or how to attack certain driveways and bad roads.

That is basically a Corvette probem in general. My C4 drags on lots of stuff too. I am VERY careful, I watch my approach angles, don't pull into parking spots all the way, etc. I replaced my front air dam right after I bought the car and it still is in great shape.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom