Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

air duct/filter

Jim Z06

Corvette
2002 Torch red Z06
considering replacing stock air duct and air filter with after market system. Any suggestions ?

Jim,

Three companies that come to mind:

VaraRam Industries

and

Halltech System

and

Breathless Performance Products

These three companies are the most common in terms of designing and carrying C5/Z06 intake components. Take a look at each. If you contact any of them, let them know you heard about them from here. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

Air Intake

Go with the Donaldsons Blackwing, from what I have been told it is expensive( what isn't) But you get the most HP from it. Also use an after market air bridge and coupler to get that extra 10 HP

Got the Vortex Rammer from Breathless.... Good response, Tech support.

Addition of about 18 HP. Easy to install, 2 hrs max.

I just put on the composite Halltech T1...No cutting..no nothing..I turned a screw driver a few times..

Its under $400 with the air brigde and the intake..the combined pricing is excellent..The quality is excellent..and the performance increase impressed me..(halltech says its 20 hp and 20lb/ft at the flywheel or thereabouts depending on whatever..yada..yada..yada..)

I'm really talking 20 to 40mph roll on..30 to 50 mph...40 to 60mph 50 to 70mph..the improvements are their..I just took the shifting portion out of the equation. (b/c I'm pretty new to shifting again)

The cars got some nice lungs as it pulls the air in threw the drivers side ZO6 grill. It seems logical to me..and when I drive the car its hauling @ss! Stock the cars amazing..but with this..I'd say its even faster.

It was so obvious..when I quickly swapped it out the stock air box..I forgot to look at it....as I'm driving the car with the Halltech on it...I thought maybe my car originally had come a stock C5 intake without the little ZO6 nostrils..I went home after my testing..and sure enough ..the car had the little vents in the top of the box like it was supposed too.

I hope this helps.

What do yall think about replacing it with a factory 2002 set-up?

Forgive me.... I didn't make clear in my last post that I have a 2001 Z06 and was wondering what yall thought about replacing the stock air intake with the 2002 version. It seems to be a better design. How much better are the after-market versions as compared to the 2002 stock piece?

Also:
I have a friend looking to buy a 2001 Z06 simular to mine with 7500 miles on it. What is a fair price for one with a a few minor nicks?

Thanks

Bill, FWIW my opinion is dump the stock air box entirely..putting on an 02 air box cover isn't worth the time or money..

Pick an aftermarket air filter whether its Halltech T1 C like I have or a vortex or a donaldson...

Ebay is a good place to watch prices on corvettes.

Price on 2001

The research I did before buying a 2001 with 3500 miles would make me think the car is worth 43,500-46,000. I paid 49,000 for mine. It was a repo and is in "as new" condition.
Lar

I suspect if one does some serious shopping and doesn't mind traveling a bit to get it, an '02 can be had in the $45-46K range.

Prices vary quite a bit.

Blackwing/2002 Z06 Airbox Cover

I have had the '02 Z06 airbox cover for a while on my '01 coupe (same cover as your '01 Z06) and enjoyed a little more noise and a little more grunt (seat of the pants meter) in the higher RPMs.
I have just ordered the Donaldson Blackwing. There is a great price for one advertised on another forum that finally made me breakdown and buy it. Well, that and ALL the other Blackwing owners RAVING about their intake!

Before I installed the supercharger, I had a Vortex Airbox, TPIS Headers and Bassani X-Pipe/Mufflers installed. I picked up 21.9rwhp with those 3 together. Not much. It was at 378rwhp then. Good Luck!
vortexsc.JPG

How Much HP??

I was told by Jim Hall(HallTeK) on another forum that with my addition of Donaldson Blackwing, Aftermarket Airbridge, Silicone coupler, my rwhp would be at 380, he said that he knows a few who have done these add ons and that is what they posted? I have a 2002 Z

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom