Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Airfoils? they worth it?

Nick90vetteguy

Corvette
1990 Polo Green Corvette
SO Ive been doin some shoppin on TPIS.com and seen this part called a Airfoil, has anybody used it, would you recommend it?

I just took one off a car and noticed no difference. Save your money for other things.

SO Ive been doin some shoppin on TPIS.com and seen this part called a Airfoil, has anybody used it, would you recommend it?

You'll notice no difference.

Nick. A word of friendly advice. There are threads and threads about these mods and I urge you to search so you don't burn the helpful guys out with oft repeated answers. Those airfoils, in particular were discussed to death and about universally decried.

Please don't ask about the Tornado.

Nick. A word of friendly advice. There are threads and threads about these mods and I urge you to search so you don't burn the helpful guys out with oft repeated answers. Those airfoils, in particular were discussed to death and about universally decried.

Please don't ask about the Tornado.

:beer

Air foils and the people that sell them should be sued to prevent further fraud, and stop the wreckless endangering of unsuspecting drivers...

Ever wonder what happens when one of those things breaks or somehow hangs your throttle plates W. F. O. ? or the foils that are bolted in place...where does the bolt go when it comes out?

A friend found out...a so called "HD plastic" POS broke and a chunk jammed in the throttle body.

The irony was, there were pieces bigger than that which actually DID something at one time,that cost less, that were laying all over the street.

Look im just tryin to get advice, I do search out things, Im just tryin to see if anybody has use them so I dont make that same mistake

Look im just tryin to get advice
smart. I did the same and still made mi$take$.
I do search out things, Im just tryin to see if anybody has use them so I dont make that same mistake
The 'easy' so-called gains (as claimed) from the sellers' literature has been tried again and again, over the long life of these cars/engines. Notice that the claims usually state "up to", meaning the 'gain' can be negative.

The smartest thing I learned, and did, was to find ONE good builder who was not boastful, just a quiet builder of powerful engines. BS tends to be on the other end from those who actually DO and BS is rampant in the biz. We all want a free lunch and to personalize our Vettes. That's cool. I learned a lot about this car, just as I did about my '63 'split' and my crate-LS-6ed, custom '71. Not boasting, just a hobby.

Since 1985, I have personalized this coupe; broken rear ends from too much power and far lesser problems. I enjoyed most of it, but above all, have learned the above. I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the marque, but wish I could drive my highly modified (but not reliable, for now) car.

I bought one a long time ago for my old '92 Vette. Since I never dynoed it, it was impossible to tell if it did any real good - HP wise.
About the only thing it did do that I noticed is that it kept me from mounting the air bridge hose to the throttle body incorrectly.
Once before the air foil was installed, I clamped the hose such that the bottom folded up on the inside partially blocking the TB and letting unfiltered air in.
Basically, they are probably not worth the money unless you get one for free.

I actually have the dyno and air flow results from TPIS, the inventor of this device. They claim 16 extra CFMs and a few extra HP at higher RPMs on a modified SBC. Some airfoil clones do not fit right at all and may have the opposite effect. Overrated? I think so.

I actually have the dyno and air flow results from TPIS, the inventor of this device. They claim 16 extra CFMs and a few extra HP at higher RPMs on a modified SBC. Some airfoil clones do not fit right at all and may have the opposite effect. Overrated? I think so.

I failed to note in my previous rant, that there IS something to be gained from aerodynamic efficiency in the throttle body...but an "add-on" ain;t gonna get it.

If you want the induction to be efficient, get a BBK or Edlebrock T-Body that has the intake side shaped and polished for maximun airflow. That will only cost you around $350-$400.....I understand why a $35 air-foil is attractive, but that does not change the fact that they are more dangerous than advantageous.

I bought one for my car a while back. Not sure if it does anything or not. Hey........ it was on sale :upthumbs Although I did add a k&n, cutout lid and larger maf foil, so I guess those are worth a few hp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom