Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

alarm system

Les Walter

Corvette
1973 t-tops
My '73 ( I've had it 3 months now) has a new key for the alarm system. I don't know the location of the alarm relay/control module to start trouble shooting. Maybe a replacement of the unit would be in order...any ideas?

The oval head key when inserted into the tail panel lock cylinder and turned clockwise 90 degrees will set or turn off the alarm. Plungers located in both door jambs and under the right side of the hood will trigger the alarm if the hood or doors are opened--which completes the ground circuit to cause the warning horn to sound.

(1) Horn is located up under the left rear fender. Check connectors and ground wire.
(2) Relay assembly for alarm is in and under the interior rear compartment (jack compartment)--remove tray and check connector and wires. (3) also check 2 wires at rear key activation switch under the rear bumper. (4) be sure wires are connected to hood switch--I have seen these disconnected. Hope this helps. Good luck!

On most that I have seen the problem is usualy that the alarm horn has rusted away or the wiring connections to the horn are bad or rusted.

tom...

Tom is correct. The alarm horn and its connections/wires take alot of abuse from the elements (dirt, water, salt, etc) due to its left rear upper fender location---especially after 30 years or so.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom