Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
Not yet. I need to get some. That would be neat. I need to get them both to the base and take a photo with my plane. I've been thinking about that for a while.

ted

Based on quarter mile et and trap speed data, at low rpm both LT4 and LT-5 make similar torque. But as biz pointed out, LT-5 torque goes up some more the dips. I'll scan and post the graph in the 91 ZR-1 owner's manual.

Off the subject, but, Demps do you know the NATO designation for the MIG-15?:beer

Definately a fighter jock. I just found out the designation. Cracked me up.
And yes he's got the hang of it. We are scheduled for lesson 2 tomorrow.

Ypu probably know, that pic is of the N. Korean Mig-15 flown by Kum Seuk No back in 1955 or 1956.

They paid him pretty good for the Mig and he was commissioned as a US Airforce officer.

I love airplanes like most people--I'm just lucky enough to get to fly my favorite. There are some very interesting stories of other folks giving us "their" planes. I was a guest at the Nellis air show this past year and saw the Mig-15's (Red Bull) night show. Now that is crazy. I also flew in a B-25 during a Heritage photo shoot with F-15, F-16, A-10, F-86, P-47, 2xP-51s, and a P-38. It was very impressive. There will be a coffee table book out this summer.

Where are the LT4 plots?

ted

BiZ said:
I lost my ability to post pictures, but I will tell you that the LT4 torque curve is flatter than the LT5's. But the LT5 makes the same amount of torque down low as the LT4 and makes more torque @ peak. The LT5 curve has a peak where the LT4 does not.

The one curve I saw on a stock LT4 was as flat as a pancake. The LT5s generally make about 30 ft lbs more than the LT4.

I guess that would mean the LT5 is 30 ft away from a pancake !

BiZ said:
I lost my ability to post pictures, but I will tell you that the LT4 torque curve is flatter than the LT5's. But the LT5 makes the same amount of torque down low as the LT4 and makes more torque @ peak. The LT5 curve has a peak where the LT4 does not.

The one curve I saw on a stock LT4 was as flat as a pancake. The LT5s generally make about 30 ft lbs more than the LT4.

Cool, seems correct to me. But how does this make the LT4 a torq monster? That's the part i'm really confused about.
Well, I guess it could be a torq monster if people have driven 4-cyl cars most of thier lives. Maybe that explains it.
:confused

Try a Callaway TT on for size if you want to experience Torq. :J :_rock :drink :upthumbs :Twist

Torque? :bu heh heh heh no pancakes here....just mountains :D

Regarding the first question....

In 0-60 and 1/4 I feel its a toss up with the 1/4 going to the occasional ringer ZR1.

But as experienced by other people a race that lasts above 100mph will go to the ZR1.

From what I have seen in BG, the ZR-1's tend to out run the LT4's all the way down the track. Stock for stock that is. I have seen LT4's beat ZR-1's but its the exception rather then the rule.

BBB454 said:
One thing I forgot to mention (not that it matters that much) is that I knew the car needed a tune-up before I put it on the dyno, so I wasn't surprised when I was disappointed in the HP number (I expected well over 300 hp). The engine was professionally rebuilt and bored .030 over back in 1988 (they spend over $5k on it back then!) so I expected more. :(

But I'm sure you right, probably most any C4 would wipe my butt on the track (but she still is fun to drive! :D).

Barb :w

I agree with that statement. I have a 78 pace car. Although not fast at all (185 h.p.) it has a certain sports car feel that the ZR-1 cannot attain. The C3 cars are very much fun to drive.

You know, I think I'm going to take the 78 out for a walk today.

I's about 78 deg. and no wind with a blue sky. Great day for a T top off ride.

Later and enjoy that Beast of yours!!

CKA_Racing said:
Cool, seems correct to me. But how does this make the LT4 a torq monster? That's the part i'm really confused about.
Well, I guess it could be a torq monster if people have driven 4-cyl cars most of thier lives. Maybe that explains it.
:confused

Try a Callaway TT on for size if you want to experience Torq. :J :_rock :drink :upthumbs :Twist

To start off, compare an LT4 to itself. Peak torque is good when compared to Horsepower. The next thing to look at is the torque curve, which is flat. Try finding engines with flat torque curves... it isn't easy. If the engine had a 'normal' torque curve, the torque at lower RPM would be much lower than peak torque. That is why people call the LT4 a torque monster.

I've been into hotrodding/fast cars since i was about 12 years old and i'm 38 right now. Let's just say i've been around. This is the first time i have ever heard The term Torq monster to refer to a flat torq curve. In all my years I as well as other gear heads I have known use the term Torq monster when referring to an engine that has mountains of high torq. If an engine has 110ft lbs of torq and the torq curve is flat across the rpm range, using your definition it would be called a torq monster? Okay, now I'm really confused.
Whatever, it's all good. They are all fast and that's what matters.
:beer

CKA_Racing said:

Whatever, it's all good. They are all fast and that's what matters.
:beer

I just got back from taking my LT4 to the track (1.7 mi track not 1/4). There were C4s, C5s, a ZR1, Z06s and my LT4. They were all so evenly matched that I didn't see any that could just walk away from the other. I pulled on all models and they all pulled on me. It came down to the driver. Whoever got the best line thru the curve and could accelerate first was going to stay in first. So I agree with you.

I was saying compare torque to HP first. Using factory specs, the LT4 has more torque than HP. After you make the general comparison, you look at the power curve. An engine with 110 lb ft of torque accross the line could be considered a torque monster if it only produces 80 HP.... In the Corvette world I don't think you would call it a torque monster though! Everything is relative.... As far as Corvette goes, the LT4 makes a lot of torque all accross the line, so many call it a torque monster

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom