Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
Zr-1's come with a 3.45 rear gear most who run the 1/4 mile change them to 4.09...The ZR-1 was not built to run the 1/4 mile, but to run high speeds all day and all night....:w

Wegone said:
Zr-1's come with a 3.45 rear gear

The six speed lt1 lt4 cars come with 3.45 also.

The trannies are different though in ZR1. Are the ratios different also?
This does make a difference on how well the car can accelerate as long as it's matched to the engines characteristics.

IMHO, ZR-1s with 385 lb ft, even with 315s on the rear, can be a tricky car to launch. Too much off the line and you waste time, not enough off the line, the motor bogs. Once off the line and hooked, then she'll run like hell.:w

The ZR-1 runs 3.45's stock in the rear. I also feel that it is hard to be humble with the ZR-1. When you have the best, why hide it.

Hey 90 Corvette ZR-1, I don't know about it being the best, but its the best I have had so far.:w
With all due respect to Rob, with out that kind of attitude, whatever corvette you own, I don't think any of us would be spending time in forums such as this one. That's my opinion. :beer

With all due respect to Rob, with out that kind of attitude, whatever corvette you own, I don't think any of us would be spending time in forums such as this one. That's my opinion. :beer [/B]

That's what I'm thinking too! :v

ZR-1/LT4 Prices When New

ZR-1 $60K +
LT4 $40K +

Money talks and Bull**** walks . . .

I really enjoy/like my LT4, but it ain't no ZR-1 !

I'd take a 95 ZR-1 over it any day . . . . . . .

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Agreed 6Shooter, but your LT4 is a beauty, too! As far as gears, the stock gears are 3.45 for all production ZR1's. However, the pre-production cars were equipped with 1 3.54. I had the pleasure of driving and riding in a '89 ZR1 while at the Mercury plant (it was a surviving mule car the Merc still had) and it had the 3.54. Wow....that car moved!

Re: ZR-1 or LT4

I was going to post about the same thing. The LT-5 is not the torque slouch that many people believe it to be. I would like to see the comparison of both of the torque curves side by side. I would be willing to bet that not only is the LT5 curve flatter but also higher as well.

I think the LT-4 is a great motor and it would be nice to own one. Seriously, I love blower car's and the LT-4 would make a much better forced induction motor than the LT-5. Cheaper and easier to build.

Aaron71771 said:
Both of these cars are great corvettes to own, for that matter any corvette is great to own.

I never understood the argument "The LT4 is the torque monster" because the LT5 is no slouch. It makes 300+ft/lbs from 1500 rpm all the way to the top. There is power at any speed you desire. In pretty much every performance category the LT5 comes out on top. It should, its rated with more power and more torque. Basically a no brainer. The faster you go the more the ZR-1's advantages become clear. The ZR-1 has a few other neat things to boot, a wider body, tires, and the sound at redline, dear god... music to the ears. I hate to have to shift sometimes.

A 1996 LT4 is not without it's advantages. It's the best C4 year in terms of build quality and realiability (although the LT5 has proven to be extremely reliable). Engine parts for the LT4 are more availiable and generally cheaper. The LT4 is NOT a performance slouch, it's a great driver and offers most owners as much power as they need. And if you have the $$$ you can pick up one of those really cool looking Grand Sports.

Power in a Corvette is a good thing. If you are after a daily driver that can offer the best in overall quality and reliability (beyond just the engine) then the LT4 may fit you perfect. If you want a little more (i.e. steaming locomotive at 120mph) in your corvette and you can sacrifice things like a few squeeks and less overall reliability (again the LT5 reliability is not an issue) then maybe the ZR-1 is for you.

ZR-1's tend to hold a special meaning for their owners. I lusted for 12 years before I got one. I always knew I'd have one, it was just a matter of time. I'd like to get a 89 L98 someday too, I love the Atari dash, the off the line torque is fun too. Having owned a ZR-1 for a slim 9 months, I don't think I would give it up for ANY other corvette out there.

LT4 a torq monster? ....okay if you say so.:confused
I felt more torq in my 91 L98 than I do in my LT4. Granted the L98 does not have a nice flat torq curve as the 4 does. But mine had max torq of around 320 foot pounds at 3200 rpm at the wheels. That was in stock form. My LT4 dyno at around 308 foot pounds at a higher rpm in the 4000 rpm range. So, I myself am really confused when I see some one stating the 4 is a torq monster. Hey, but whatever. It's all good in my book. :)
:beer

BBB454 said:
Wouldn't the rear end gears make a difference too, when comparing the ZR1 vs. LT4 (and mine, for that matter)?

Do all ZR1s have the same rear end and if so, what is it? How about the LT4s?

Mine's a 3.08.

Barb :w

I swear I'm not chest pounding!!!! But. I have spent many many days and weekends at the track. And have seen many big block cars with your horsepower run in the 1/4 mile and they barely break into the 14 sec category. Most are running 15's.

I had my car dyno teated last week and I had 370 rwhp@390 lbs. torque. During this test my mechanid said something wasn't right. Yesterday he took the intake off and found several vaccuum leaks and a bad check valve. Also when the dyno test was @ 5600 rpm to 7200 rpm the air intake boot had collapsed cutting off the intake air. Thanks to Mark C. and his very trick intake duct, that won't happen again. All of the vac lines have been replaced with silicone lines and the check valve replaced. It's now back to the dyno for further tests. I expect over 400 rwhp.

I have not tested my car at the track but plan to do so soon. I expect to go in the 12's.

So do the math vs the ZR-1. even with a completely stock car it wouldnt be much of a contest. My car has a DRM custom chip, ram air, and Magnaflow race series mufflers with an X-pipe. The cats and stock exhaust manifolds are the next to go. These are just bolt on items and you can see the HP depth. To gain that type of HP in a big block it requires much machining and technical setup and lots of race parts. I know I have a big block Mopar in my top gas car and it took a lot to get the HP over 500.

Good luck though I love the big block cars!
:v

Re: Re: its ok Rob

Rob said:
:L Nope. I drool over the Vette just like every other Ford owner! :D :D

Guess I need to fess-up. I too drive Ford P/U.

Not any Ford P/U mind you . It's an extended cab Turbo Diesel with K&N ram air, Hypertech Program Module. That truck is a beast as well on the highway. It gets about 28 mpg to boot!

I've had several Chevy diesels and they always had an issue. The dealers didn't know what to do or the parts weren't avaliable. I believe it was three Chevy diesels before I converted to Ford.

Sorry guys they make the best trucks. Just check the sales numbers. I've got 91k miles on this truck and it's never missed a beat!

Re: Re: Re: its ok Rob

YESZREE said:
Guess I need to fess-up. I too drive Ford P/U.

Not any Ford P/U mind you . It's an extended cab Turbo Diesel with K&N ram air, Hypertech Program Module. That truck is a beast as well on the highway. It gets about 28 mpg to boot!

I've had several Chevy diesels and they always had an issue. The dealers didn't know what to do or the parts weren't avaliable. I believe it was three Chevy diesels before I converted to Ford.

Sorry guys they make the best trucks. Just check the sales numbers. I've got 91k miles on this truck and it's never missed a beat!

HUH!!!!!!! At least I'm not the only one! :L :booty

Re: Re: ZR-1 or LT4

4cefed said:
I was going to post about the same thing. The LT-5 is not the torque slouch that many people believe it to be. I would like to see the comparison of both of the torque curves side by side. I would be willing to bet that not only is the LT5 curve flatter but also higher as well.

I think the LT-4 is a great motor and it would be nice to own one. Seriously, I love blower car's and the LT-4 would make a much better forced induction motor than the LT-5. Cheaper and easier to build.

The LT4 has a flatter torque curve than the LT5, but the LT5's reaches a higher peak. What I am trying to say is the LT4 has a ton of torque all through the powerband.... I know the LT5 is no slouch on torque, but its strong point is high RPM power.... that is why you pay the big bucks. If you aren't going to run top end, the LT4 will more than suit you. The extra cash in your pockets can buy a supercharger or other mods to more than fill any performance gap between the two engines (again, besides running top-end all day long).

YESZREE said:
I swear I'm not chest pounding!!!! But. I have spent many many days and weekends at the track. And have seen many big block cars with your horsepower run in the 1/4 mile and they barely break into the 14 sec category. Most are running 15's.

So do the math vs the ZR-1. even with a completely stock car it wouldnt be much of a contest. My car has a DRM custom chip, ram air, and Magnaflow race series mufflers with an X-pipe. The cats and stock exhaust manifolds are the next to go. These are just bolt on items and you can see the HP depth. To gain that type of HP in a big block it requires much machining and technical setup and lots of race parts. I know I have a big block Mopar in my top gas car and it took a lot to get the HP over 500.

Good luck though I love the big block cars!
:v

One thing I forgot to mention (not that it matters that much) is that I knew the car needed a tune-up before I put it on the dyno, so I wasn't surprised when I was disappointed in the HP number (I expected well over 300 hp). The engine was professionally rebuilt and bored .030 over back in 1988 (they spend over $5k on it back then!) so I expected more. :(

But I'm sure you right, probably most any C4 would wipe my butt on the track (but she still is fun to drive! :D).

Barb :w

I guess dyno sheets talk and BS walks...;LOL
Okays guys, put up your dyno sheets.:gap

If i can find my sheet , i'll post it. I'd be surprise if the LT4 is better.

These results were retreived from runviewer from my car (95 ZR-1 totally stock then with modified exhaust).

Stock Exhaust
2000 284 291
3000 301 308
4000 313 332
5000 329 348
6000 298 320

Fairly weak 95 stock, but good gains from a catback system. Going to be changing the fuel filter this weekend. Everything else is fairly fresh--stock airfilter has around 5,000 miles on it, plugs <2,000 miles.

ted

okay, I'm begining to not like this--the file is in another post about my mod'ed exhaust. I can't post it again.

second "problem"--it's auto-formatting the data table and it makes little sense. The first column is rpms, second is tq stock, the third is tq with a custom exhaust.

Hi, Demps.
No problem intepreting the table.
Any pics of your ZR-1 w/ F-15 in the background?

I lost my ability to post pictures, but I will tell you that the LT4 torque curve is flatter than the LT5's. But the LT5 makes the same amount of torque down low as the LT4 and makes more torque @ peak. The LT5 curve has a peak where the LT4 does not.

The one curve I saw on a stock LT4 was as flat as a pancake. The LT5s generally make about 30 ft lbs more than the LT4.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom