Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

alternator dead on my 90??

S

stealblue90

hello...
first post on this board.

My father and I were cleaning the engine compartment of his 90. We used some degreaser, and a hose. When we took it for a ride afterwards, the battery light came on, and after testing with a voltmeter, the system is not being charged by the alternator. I've cleaned many engine bays over the years this way, taking care not to spray any computer components, or distributors..and i've never had a problem. Could this be coinsidence, or did we cause it with the hose..

How much would this repair normally cost?..

Thanks for your help

It's dead Fred!

How many miles..etc,etc.

DO NOT BUY A PEP BOYS REPLACEMENT ALT!

Get A GOOD ONE~

Vig!

..he's only got about 15,000 origional miles, and drives it only a few times a year. We are prepping it for the big Carlisle trip again this year...it's really the only workout the car gets.

he keeps it on a battery buddy throughout the year, and this is the first problem he's had, other than the radio going completely haywire.

No pepboys...thanks for the info.

Alternator dead on my 90

I think it was a coincidence, or you were not careful enough. :) I have always washed all of my car's engine bays about twice a year. I use degreaser and a high pressure hose at the car wash. I just don't select the "high" pressure. I too keep it away from the electric motors and the distributor. Never have had a problem with it. As a matter of fact I just did my '85 yesterday. It came out sparkling like a new dime. For good measure I hang a shop towel over the opening on the alterantor, just in case things happen to get out of hand.

Buy a good quality Alternator with at least a 1 year warranty. Since they are a pice of cake to install it won't be too big a problem if you have to replace it. Unless you are out in the desert somewhere. :) I had to put two of them on my '86 before I got one that worked. If you want to be certain then get if from the Chevrolet dealer. Of course be ready to 2nd mortage your car! :)

Good luck with it...........

thanks boblx2a...
He's getting a new one today..from the chevy parts department.
It's an install we can handle i think..

:cool

Andddddddd

Is it fixed?

Vig!

Yup...
We got a delco right from the Chevy dealership around the corner. It's in and the system is working great.

Good luck to you making the trip to Carlisle this week!!

thanks

stealblue90 said:
Yup...
We got a delco right from the Chevy dealership around the corner. It's in and the system is working great.

You can expect frequent alternator replacement if the car is driven infrequently, and the battery is not kept on a charger. With the constant drain from the computer, etc., every time you start the car, the battery is somewhat discharged and the alternator has to work its' diodes off to recharge it. This overheats the diodes, they fail, and you buy a new one.

I'm on my 6th (or maybe 7th) alternator at 105,000 + miles.

BTW, there are several sources of good Delco alternators that are vastly cheaper than your local Chevy $tealer.

Regards,
- R

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom