Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator gave up the ghost

Viet Nam Vett said:
The Power Master Is Triple Chrome Plated.. Top of the line DMZ Gack..:L

You know what they say................ ;)

67HEAVEN said:
If it don't go, chrome it. ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Yeah..Ok...My Motto also..And also.."If It Burns Out ..Put Another One On":D

Bob as an FYI that 94 amp alternator is the same one that was on my 84 Buick Regal TType Turbo. That thing was forever having problems with voltage regulators. I had it rebuilt at least 3 times. I was told that it is inherent in that series alternator because of poor protection of the circuits in it. The later CS units were much better than the older SI units. Just my .02

:beer

JohnZ said:
I think self-service gas stations are still illegal in New Jersey - they still have people that pump your gas; wonder if they still check oil and clean the windshield?

I got my mechanic basic training working at a local Shell station (with four repair bays) during my high school years, and I ran a Shell station on the night shift for the last three years I was in college to pay the college bills. Those were the days when they were still SERVICE stations - yup, with the Shell shirt, pants, jacket, and hat. :)

I did the same at a Sunoco during college John. Full uniform, pump the gas, check the oil, transmission fluid etc. Good thing too though, once a foreigner came in with a Mercedes and wanted to put the gas into his radiator.:L

Loved when the women in short shirts and low cut tops would drive in for gas. Got many an eyeful.;)

I remember working weekends and being left the duty of painting the curbs yellow!

Need more watts? Alterstart in TX USA sells 135 amp rebuilts with a lifetime warranty. I have had a 3 wire (original style) one on my 66 for years with a transpo HD solid state regulator (available from WranglerNW). Both vendors have web sites.

VNV helped me install the Powermaster 140A on the big block today.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid_Again said:
VNV helped me install the Powermaster 140A on the big block today.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.. But is it wiered Up..???.....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH..PooP:D

Mark....it works perfectly.

The only problem I had was that the wire that comes off of the original voltage regulator must be connected to the horn relay buss bar. The connector has two wires and I assume the second wire goes off somewhere to the ignition. I will check the wiring diagram when I get home.

Once i installed that wire, it fired right up. No problems but the battery was pretty discharged. I know that I posted a dead battery previously but that's not true, apparantly, since it seems that I took the reading off the connectors and not the battery posts. The posts show 12v. Boy, did that battery get healthy in a hurry with the new alternator.

Driving around the island with the AC on (both fans on), the ammeter was a TCH to the right. Perfect.

BTW, LOVE the Dewitts setup.

I'm so happy that I'm haviing a Jack Daniels on the deck, Frank's signing "Luck be a Lady Tonight" in the background, smoking a Kuba Kuba and watching the bikini parade. The '66 is outside and I gratefully acknowledge the chickie's compliments. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me take any of them for a ride ;)

Kid_Again said:
Mark....it works perfectly.

The only problem I had was that the wire that comes off of the original voltage regulator must be connected to the horn relay buss bar. The connector has two wires and I assume the second wire goes off somewhere to the ignition. I will check the wiring diagram when I get home.

Once i installed that wire, it fired right up. No problems but the battery was pretty discharged. I know that I posted a dead battery previously but that's not true, apparantly, since it seems that I took the reading off the connectors and not the battery posts. The posts show 12v. Boy, did that battery get healthy in a hurry with the new alternator.

Driving around the island with the AC on (both fans on), the ammeter was a TCH to the right. Perfect.

BTW, LOVE the Dewitts setup.

I'm so happy that I'm haviing a Jack Daniels on the deck, Frank's signing "Luck be a Lady Tonight" in the background, smoking a Kuba Kuba and watching the bikini parade. The '66 is outside and I gratefully acknowledge the chickie's compliments. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me take any of them for a ride ;)

Cool..Glad to hear your back in the game. The two wires coming out of the small plug on the alternator contain #1 the sensing wire that goes to the Horn relay and # 2...The wire which shows in the M.A.D. electrical diagram going to the diode.

Remember that the discription in the M.A.D. manual and section your working under is for 60 someting chevy's heavy duty over XX amps.

Here's the deal with that...That second Diode wire.(For discription Only..Diode) was used to drive the Idiot "ALT" light on the dash of your dad's chevy.

The way it works is.. Key in the on posistion connects the Idiot light bulb case to ground thru the alternator #2 wire (Your Diode Line). ..When the motor starts and the alternator develops positive output...this #2 Treminal goes Positive 12V..

Since ther is a Positive voltage on the Idiot bulb center contact..and mow 12V + on the bulbs case..there is no ground any longer....Idiot lamp goes out.

Meaning ... You may not have to use that #2 wire for anything.
Since there is No Idiot Light..!! Mine is not in use. I'm just using the sensing wire to horn relay.

But do what ever makes it work. You didn't say what the Motor temp was chugging around town...

Driving around the island with the AC on (both fans on),

Did you wire The "PWM" Blue Wire to the A/C compressor Clutch for Fan Turn on??

:beer

67HEAVEN said:
Oh, man. Where's her sense of humour? ;)

I wouldn't want to tick her off either... She's a great cook...We had Sausage's and Western Eggs for Lunch during the Alternator Install.:D

Viet Nam Vett said:
I wouldn't want to tick her off either... She's a great cook...We had Sausage's and Western Eggs for Lunch during the Alternator Install.:D

Yup, ya don't want to lose a great Cook, they all can dress up and look nice (especially after a few drinks ;) ) but finding a Women who can cook now a days is a rare find.

bossvette said:
Yup, ya don't want to lose a great Cook, they all can dress up and look nice (especially after a few drinks ;) ) but finding a Women who can cook now a days is a rare find.

Well I must say here also that CoCo..Did a great job at dinner and the following morning at Breakfast.... Yummmy.....At the Cruiesfest 2006 stop at Craig's and CoCo's house.

Thanks CoCo..;)

(For those of you who don't know...CoCo..(Courtney)..Is Craig's Bride.)

bossvette said:
Ya missed a letter its Courtney, but I won't tell and I'll delete this post after ya fix it in case She sees it :L

done........:D

Well, I'm not complaining at all but it would be nice to show my appreciation EVERY NOW AND THEN to those who compliment my car. I'd be in less trouble if I just CLOSE the garage door and turn the air conditioning on.

Although, my very informal survey of the Victoria's Secret parade in front of my deck does demonstrate the following. The girlies (of all ages) JUST LOVE the red car (VNV), they REALLY LIKE my cars (Nassau Blue) and lie down till it passes when they see my neighbor's TopFlight silver '63 coupe. Yeah, they like the '63 alright but it doesn't draw a crowd. I would have never thougth to notice that but it is SO obvious (at least to the girls in Ocean City).

Here come the flames from:

1) all the '63 owners,
2) all the owners of ANY silver midyear and
3) anyone who actually achieved a TopFlight Award

Well, it may not be any of those at all. After all, Mark CAN say his is the BIGGEST! :D (engine, that is)

yeah current gas station "service" consists of if the reciet printing on the pump itself is broken than the guy inside has to get up off his lazy a** and actually push a button to print it out for you inside and hand it to you - all the while making faces and sighing heavily because you put him thru so much effort.

I know exactly what you mean! Makes me so mad my a$$ wants to chew tobacco! There's a Shell station near my home that makes me cuss everytime I go there. It seldom has receipt paper, windshield washer or paper towels stocked at the pumps. I decided the last time it happened would be the last time I did business with them. When I got home I emailed their home office voicing my displeasure and told them I would not do business with them anymore. My note was polite but conveyed a message they needed to hear. I received a handwritten apology from the store manager with a $25 gift card later that week asking for my business back. No way. I gave the gift card to my daughter who lives out of state because I won't be going back there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom