Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ALTERNATOR LOCATION?

72VETTE454

Corvette
1972 Convertible LS5 4spd
Hi all. I have a book which shows a picture of a 1973 LS4 454. It shows the alternator mounted on the passenger side of the engine, with the AIR pump mounted below the alternator. I thought for big blocks at least, that the alternator was always mounted on the driver's side. Anyone have a clue if there ever was such an animal?;shrug Inquiring minds need to know.

Hi all. I have a book which shows a picture of a 1973 LS4 454. It shows the alternator mounted on the passenger side of the engine, with the AIR pump mounted below the alternator. I thought for big blocks at least, that the alternator was always mounted on the driver's side. Anyone have a clue if there ever was such an animal?

Nope - Bubba was there. :D

I have a book which shows a picture of a 1973 LS4 454. It shows the alternator mounted on the passenger side of the engine, with the AIR pump mounted below the alternator.
You sure that you are looking at / interpreting that picture correctly? For a legit book to publish something like that would seem rather strange.

Wonder if the picture is printed backwards in the book? Stranger things have happened. What's the title of the book in question?

:)

The book is called "How To Restore and Modify Your Corvette 1968-82", by Richard Newton. The picture in question is on page 177. It's not a normal picture from a camera, if that makes any sense, and the engine isn't installed in a car. It looks to me like a glossy black and white, like an engineering rendition. So maybe this is one possibility that Chevrolet was looking at during early stages of developement. It is funny though, how thw caption under the picture would lead you to believe that this is how it was in production. Oh well

WOW! You're good.:upthumbs

Yup, that's the passenger car long-water pump accessory drive system; Corvette never used the long water pump arrangement.

:beer

Bubba is good! Bubba is fast! Bubba is holy! Bubba is usually wrong! all you smart guys make me feel bad. If someone hasn't seen it, then Bubba was there. I gotta get bubba"s address so I can send him some splints, bandages and left over narcotic type pain killers to help him through his beatings. Poor bubba.
:bash

The engine is the picture is not 'dressed' anything like a '73 Corvette engine. The air cleaner ass'y, smog tubes, HT wires, fan, fan clutch, are all non-Corvette spec, in addition to the smog pump and alternator location.

Aside from that, and the inaccurate write up below the picture, it's pretty good. :L

I read an article somewhere that said the 454 Corvette can keep up with a Fox body 5.0 Mustang.
Those 454 Corvettes are just too heavy. The 68 to 69 427 were lighter cars and has less stuff/junk on the engine.

Those 454 Corvettes are just too heavy. The 68 to 69 427 were lighter cars and has less stuff/junk on the engine.

Not really. The 454 crank is 6# heavier, otherwise they're identical weight-wise to the 427's; all '68-up big-blocks (427 and 454) had the same A.I.R. system.

:beer

abc, just a friendly heads up to ya ;) I've been watching ya and I notice your (blatant) style. You probably won't want to get into a technical debate regarding old vettes with JohnZ. If you have any point to prove, it's probably best not argue it with John, unless of course it's to use it as a learning experience. Otherwise, you're bringing a dull plastic knife to a gunfight. :D

A wink and a tip of my hat to ya.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom