Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

alternator question

herminator

Corvette
1973 Stingray
I am looking at putting a chrome alt on my '73 but have been told I will have to rewire some items if I go with a 100 amp since mine is a 42 amp output. Is this true? I am shopping at Summit and can't find a smaller one in chrome.

I used this one from Summit and bolted it on with no other mods:

TFF-7102NAP

It's available as either internal or external regulated. It's polished - not chrome, and it looks very good.

I used this one from Summit and bolted it on with no other mods:

TFF-7102NAP

It's available as either internal or external regulated. It's polished - not chrome, and it looks very good.

Thanks, what year is your car and do you have an amp guage or volt meter? If amp guage, what is the max number on the plus side?

Here are a couple of photos of the install on the engine:

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

My car is a '64, so I'm using the external amp alternator with an amp gauge. After running the battery nearly completely dead while working on the car with the doors open all day, I got the amp gauge to go to about 35. Most of the time the amp gauge reads in the 15 to 20 range.

Lars

My alternator uses the convential hookup. The 1-wire units are not recommended for several reasons - e-mail me for technical info on the subject if you want it.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom