Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Optima red top problem

V

vettekingz06

I got a optima red top battery for my Z06--i got it home and it needed to be charged before putting it in the car. I put it on a quick charge of 10amps. After that, i went for a drive. When i got to my destination,the battery was spewing acid out the vents and was so hot you couldn't touch it. I got it out of the car and got a replacement. Of course the acid damaged my car, and i repaired the damage. The replacement battery would not hold a charge, so i had the car checked for a drain on the battery. No trouble was found--so back to the store-this time--for a replacement. They said the battery was good--yeah right--so i said i want my money back. I had to act like a real jerk to get my money back but they finally gave it to me. I went to the chevy dealer and got an ACdelco battery made for the car--all is well. Just beware of Optima red top batteries--they sit on the shelves a long time because they cost more than other batteries. Just my .02's.........

Call me old fashion - but when it comes to things like batteries, oil filters even air cleaner elements - I go with stock GM replacements.

Remo:cool

same here, i still have the same delco battery from the factory and it still shows a green eye and holds a full charge.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL:m

if you want that technology - but don't want to purchase the Optima brand... there is another mfgr:
orbital_auto_starting.jpg

made by Exide.

I put the Optima red top in my 64 almost 2 years ago and have not had any problems. I also have many of my friends that use them and nobody has ever had a problem. I don't know what caused your problem and I have never heard of any battery act the way you say this one did.

I replaced my dead stock battery in my Z06 a few months ago with an Optima Redtop 75/35 and haven't had any problems since. Can't get the original AC Delco AGM 75P anymore .....

- Carter

red top 11 months with no problems

Hi folks -

I have had my red-top for several months now - no problems and it looks fantastic in the engine bay IMO.

optima_red_top2.jpg

best regards -

mqqn

mqqn said:
Hi folks -

I have had my red-top for several months now - no problems and it looks fantastic in the engine bay IMO.

optima_red_top2.jpg

best regards -

mqqn

Looks just like mine ! Cool color ! :_rock

- Carter

Optima fan

Red top in the '71 Nova - 3 years, no issues
Yellow and Blue in the RV - 2 years, no issues
Red top in the '72 'Vette - 18 months, no issues

As I need batteries, I am moving to Optima. I also am not familiar with the problems you have experienced. But, as with anything produced in mass, consider this-like a kernel of popcorn, not every one of them is going to "pop". :)

I like the Optima battery, and I will continue with them-love the power, the look and the lack of wet acid. Works for me....:upthumbs

Rick
:w

The red top is a AGM battery and should NEVER be quick charged. The 10 amp charge you put on her was too much and heated the little liquid that is in such a battery to fumes. I wouldn't use more than a 2 amp charge on one of these. A 10 amp charge can make a regular lead acid battery boil slightly.
Operator error!!

According to their site the red top is not an absorbant glass mat battery, rather spiral wound technology.............

I had a problem with the Delco in my C4. First thing I did upon taking delivery of my '99 last year was change to a red top Optima. No problems.
VINNY

My red top worked fine, in a jeep application. Even held up under winching...but...would not hold a charge longer than a week if the vehicle wasn't run. I thought something was draining the battery but when I replaced the red top with an Interstate, problems went away. I can let the jeep sit for a month or more and still fires right up. I won't spend my money on another Optima.

Ruckmjr said:
My red top worked fine, in a jeep application. Even held up under winching...but...would not hold a charge longer than a week if the vehicle wasn't run. I thought something was draining the battery but when I replaced the red top with an Interstate, problems went away. I can let the jeep sit for a month or more and still fires right up. I won't spend my money on another Optima.

Hi Ruck -

Just some additional info - My Z sat in the garage for 6 weeks and I went out and started it two days ago. Started right up - no issues whatsoever.

The coupe gets a red-top at the first sign of trouble with the battery that is in it.

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom