Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another wheel question

femurphy77

Corvette
1992 Coupe
Due to 3 bent and one cracked wheel on my recent acquistion I am in the wheel market. I have searched the archives and haven't found the definitive answer to my question. Will the 11" ZR1 styled wheel fit underneath the rear fenders as nicely as the stock 9.5" wheel if I use the 50mm wheel offset? In other words moving the additional 1.5" wheel width towards the center of the car instead of outward. It's too damn cold to crawl around outside with a tape measure today. I've seen 11" wheels on standard C4's and the sidewall bulge looks to be on the verge of sticking past the stock fenderlip and I'm not looking to add flares. Thanks, FM, Indy

I got a book, recently, that talks about this (1001 Corvette C4 Projects), and I THINK the answer is YES. Don't quote me though, I'll check when I get home tonight. If you're looking for ZR-1 style wheels look at AFS Wheels. They have them really cheap, and I put the black ones on my car and they are fine. I think the website is AFS.com.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

I have a set of 11" ZR1 wheels on mine with a 50mm offset and they place the tires all the way to the edge and beyond. However I only use the car on sunny days with no problems. The 315 tires look pretty good on the rear

Grand Sports had that added fender flare to cover them completely. I'd think they'd fit on a 1992 exactly the same way, wouldn't they? So I'd think without the flare, you'd have them stick out just a little bit.

E-mail AFS Wheels in California they have the ZR1 wheels that have the correct off set. The reason the 96 GS had the flair is because GM had left over ZR1 wheels and the ZR1 had a wider rear body pannel, you can tell by looking at the rear liscense plate the back up lights are farther apart than my 96 LT4 Coupe. I have these style wheels on my wifes WS6 TA with a different off set so they are tucked under the body. I love the 315's on back as they do bite better, but you can not rotate so every 20,000 miles I have to buy new rubber. I took of my Fiske FM10 wheels and tried her wheels (ZR1 replica's) and the off set had two inches of rubber out side the fender, no way changed back. The Fiske wheels were on my Vette when I got the car and they are stock sizes and they are so expensive and good looking I have just left them alone.

Just went to the garage and measured them. Top dead center sticks out 5/8"
However the tire really exposes the lower rear quarter panels with the 315 tires. You can't really smoke these tires with 13 inches of rubber on the ground but it will pull the front wheels off the ground for about 2 seconds. If I were to do it again, probably go back to 9.5 inch wheels

WILLFEOM said:
Just went to the garage and measured them. Top dead center sticks out 5/8"
However the tire really exposes the lower rear quarter panels with the 315 tires. You can't really smoke these tires with 13 inches of rubber on the ground but it will pull the front wheels off the ground for about 2 seconds. If I were to do it again, probably go back to 9.5 inch wheels

Do you have the LT1 automatic?

WILLFEOM said:
Yes, LT1 automatic

I have the Hyper-Tech power Programmer and the 160 stat and the engine runs much cooler as the fans turn on sooner and with a K&N filter and open frame on the air box I picked up a few more HP. My wife's TA LT1 auto has 315 on the rear and ever 15,000 miles of my driving it the rear transmission mount breaks. Oh well the price you pay to play. When I am in traffic I wish I had the 4L60E auto but I like haveing the extra HP the LT4 has but the ZF 6 speed trans is about four grand if you break it(ZF Doc.com). It was a shame you could not get the LT4 with the auto trans when they were new. Have fun you have a cool Vette.

Also have 160 stat with K&N filter. Installed larger MAF housing and 52mm throttle body with Corsa exhaust. Spent way to much money on toys, at least was able to install myself except for exhaust. Exhaust & 52mm body well worth the money. 1996 coupe black on black

Long tube headers ceramic coated TPIS and Random Tech cats are next. The LT4 has the 52 mm stock if you go any bigger you have to have the intake manifold bored out. Do get the Hyper Tech programmer it works better with Lt1 (my wifes LT1 Bird) than it did with the LT4 as GM did their R&D on the LT4. Did you put the 2 3/4 inch dia Corsa cat back as they make a 2 1/2. After the headers I am looking for a cat back. As later on I will go with the 383 crank so I will go with a 3 inch cat back if you go too big it hurts your torque and HP in the mid range with 350ci. I have had my 96 since 1999. My neighbor has a 2000 C5 LS1 auto that is stock and I can pull him a car in every gear (it really gripes him) as he smoked my TA after about 50 as I killed him off the line (love those 315 rear tires) He teases me about mine being the old body style and now the C6 is out and he is old too. I was going to trade mine in for a new one but the payments are too much and I would rather go with the 383 next year and have a sleeper.

Went with 2 3/4. The reason I went with the 1996 is the body style, last year for a classic. The new C6 does look good unlike C5 body

Louis Bartay said:
E-mail AFS Wheels in California they have the ZR1 wheels that have the correct off set. The reason the 96 GS had the flair is because GM had left over ZR1 wheels and the ZR1 had a wider rear body pannel, you can tell by looking at the rear liscense plate the back up lights are farther apart than my 96 LT4 Coupe.
The GS has a different rear wheel than the ZR-1. The offsets are different. I'd think you'd want the GS offset wheel on a 1992 car, not the ZR-1 offset (unless it's a 1992 ZR-1). :)

Aurora40 said:
The GS has a different rear wheel than the ZR-1. The offsets are different. I'd think you'd want the GS offset wheel on a 1992 car, not the ZR-1 offset (unless it's a 1992 ZR-1). :)

You are correct about the different off sets but there is a third off set for a late model C4 that AFS makes so you car use the 11 wide rear and 315 is tucked inside the fender with out the 96 GS flair.

I put ZR-1 offset 11" wheels on my old 92 and they stuck out about 3/4 inch. I installed GS fender flares and splash guards to keep the rain water and mud off the car.

They did not rub or cause any other problems.

Generally speaking, if you're going to buy new wheels all around, get the GS offset wheels and you can forget the flares and splash guards - if you want to.

Louis Bartay said:
You are correct about the different off sets but there is a third off set for a late model C4 that AFS makes so you car use the 11 wide rear and 315 is tucked inside the fender with out the 96 GS flair.

To avoid any confusion:

The GS really didn't need the flairs. The GS wheels don't stick out without the flair, and the early GS models have the flairs stuck on with double sided tape. the thought from the factory was owners may not like the flairs, so give the option to take them off.

So, when you go to AFS, if you want the tire to sit inside the fender you'll get GS offset wheels. If you want them to stick out, you'll get ZR1 offset wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom