Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Another Wierd noise=Transmission/u-joints?

Tntruckguy

Corvette
1980 L-48 Red Coupe
OK guys, still working on getting my 80' in top shape. I seem now to have a wierd noise when I jump on it from a dead stop. Sounds like something slipping real bad. The th350 seems to shift into third gear twice once I get it up to speed. Thats the best way to explain it. I have adjusted to TV or indent cable, which ever you would like to call it, and that helped the gears shift better. The trans was shifting into third at about 20 mph before. I think some of the light knocking I am getting is that I need to replace my u joints in the drive shaft. I have already replaced the ones in the half shafts and that stopped a very noticable knocking. I only have these noises when I am getting some foot in it from a stand still. I think I am looking at two different problems here. Anybody have any ideas whats going on. I dont mean to sound scattered but I have never heard these noises and bumps before. Thanks in advance for anyones help with this.

tntruckguy

Well , it sounds like the tranny needs a rebuild or at the very least a decent service. If you are rebuilding , then put in a shift kit and get a governor kit from B&M to modify your WOT shift points if they not correct. At the same time , to wake the car up , a 2000 rpm stall convertor is a good idea (the The stock 1980 has boggerall oomph and guts , all show and no real go)
The knocking could be universals , a loose gearbox mounting, bad engine mounts , trailing arm problems .. almost impossible to diagnose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom