Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any experience frame work kits?

AnytownUSA

Corvette
1994 Black on Black 6spd
Any experience with frame work kits?

Has anybody ever used any of "at-home" frame repair tools? I have a Cherokee that took a hit in the rear and resulted in a very localized and small amount of "frame" damage. The car is a uni-body so it’s not really a frame, but you guys know that already. Anyway, I haven’t gotten an estimate from a body shop because I know from experience that frame time is expensive. I see these frame tools like this one from Eastwood…

4-Ton Porta Power Kit

spacer01.gif
Hydraulic Body Straightening - Lift, Push, Bend and Straighten bent frames and bodywork with the ease of operating a hydraulic jack. Works great with your torch or hammer and dolly to make professional repairs. Includes pump with easy to operate release valve, spreading wedge, ram with 4 extensions, 7 accessories and instructions. 90 Day Manufacturer's Warranty. Made in Taiwan. *****THIS IS AN OVERSIZED ITEM REQUIRING ADDITIONAL SHIPPING*****

I know I might be better off finding one made in the US but I was wondering how these things work in general. You have to pull/push against something. Does the whole thing attach to the car, or does it need some attach point on the floor or something external to the car?

I’d like to cut out the damaged section, straighten the uni-body (maybe without cutting out the damage?) and weld up reinforcement plates to compensate for the strength loss due to the yielding during the accident. I’d rather pay a body shop if this type of thing won’t work, but if I can do it all the better! Thanks for you help.

Mike Frost

Most professional frame/unibody repairs of this nature are done on a large "frame rack", which is a surface plate with pedestal details that locate to the master gage holes/points/surfaces on the unibody specified by the vehicle manufacturer, and pressure is applied to straighten the damaged area while the rest of the unibody is solidly located and secured in the direction opposite the force to be applied. Structural unibody damage is frequently "telegraphed" to other areas outside the area of immediate visible damage, which goes un-noticed unless the unibody is set up and anchored on its master datum points. I wouldn't use the kind of tool you describe to repair structural damage at home.

:beer

Thanks John,
That's kind of what I thought but I figured I'd at least give it consideration. Oh well, body shop here I come!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom