Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone ever have THIS dash problem before?

M

Moonunit 451

Went out today and my range guage read "0". I usually keep it on range. Two days ago it was around 345 with about 3/4 tank registering accurately. All other lights and guages reading properly, until --- I flipped the switch to check my average gas milage, which I nornally leave on instant. Now this read "0"!

I drove about 15 mi. and each one went up to 1, and .1 respectively. As I returned home, another 15 mi., the range went to 2 and the average to .3. :crazy

SO, these funtions, being controlled by sepearate toggles in different positions on error are the ONLY eroneous (?sp) readings :confused I consulted the manual (which I never do, cause, far as I can tell it's not written in english, unless you're a certified GM tech), from what I could determine, I'm supposed to perform the UNSPECIFIED :r Test Q ;LOL

Experience tells me that I should D/C the battery and reset the computer and hope it goes away, BUT, it also tells me that there are some readings developing, but they are not correct. The computer should have reflected my driving MPG and range MUCH more accurately in the distance I traveled.

So I thought I'd throw it out here before I do anything. Cars running good. Thanks in advance folks :w :beer

Colin,

mines started doing this about a year ago and it only did it two or three times on me and every time i just disconnected the battery and all was good.

but...

now it's getting progressively worse :( all the sudden i drive along and instang mpg goes from 25 (at which the throttle in OD cruising) or so to 0 and slowly go back to the same setting at the same throttle position. this is really throwing me off since the car is running really rich right now and throwing a code (just started) and it's showing like 7-12 mpg on average :L i know it's not running that rich. my OD and Shift light sometimes flashes on and off now also. would be cool if it was rigged as a Real shift light! :D guess i'll be looking for someone to repair this when it starts blinking the whole dash out :L

i've just never heard of digital dashes doing whats mines doing ;shrug

Mad-Mic said:
Colin,

mines started doing this about a year ago and it only did it two or three times on me and every time i just disconnected the battery and all was good.

but...

now it's getting progressively worse :( all the sudden i drive along and instang mpg goes from 25 (at which the throttle in OD cruising) or so to 0 and slowly go back to the same setting at the same throttle position. this is really throwing me off since the car is running really rich right now and throwing a code (just started) and it's showing like 7-12 mpg on average :L i know it's not running that rich. my OD and Shift light sometimes flashes on and off now also. would be cool if it was rigged as a Real shift light! :D guess i'll be looking for someone to repair this when it starts blinking the whole dash out :L

i've just never heard of digital dashes doing whats mines doing ;shrug

Thanks Mic, me neither, I got links to dash rebuilders, if needed. Sounds ominous, hope it's just a glitch. Won't have time to mess with it till at least Sunday, but wait, I gotta watch like 12 hrs of football Sunday --- well maybe Monday :L :beer

Anyone else :confused

C, I would be willing to bet it's not the dash... as that piece does not do the computation.

CCM/ECM

Then again, yours is a pre 90, my knowledge dwindles in the electronics in those cars.

BTW, how have you been, planning on running in the PE or BM ORR again?

Mad-Mic said:
as long as i got water temp/oil temp/oil pressure/voltage/speedo/tach it won't bother me that much :L
which is about all some of us have with non-stock ECMs.

Jeffvette said:
C, I would be willing to bet it's not the dash... as that piece does not do the computation.

CCM/ECM

Then again, yours is a pre 90, my knowledge dwindles in the electronics in those cars.

BTW, how have you been, planning on running in the PE or BM ORR
again?

Hey Jeff :w Ya know I sure was thinking computer (and hoping it didn't further enter the discussion) :( I've been driving it and the #'s ain't adding up. I guess I'll clear the compuer tomorrow and hope it's a temporary or isolated glitch.

No plans to do anymore racing for a while. I really shot my wad getting the car redone and racing the stuff I did this last year. Now I gotta pay the piper and get caught up on the financial end. Hellya it was kinda irresponsible, but I went for it. Now I gots ta pay, but I've had the experience :D Gonna probly be a couple of years before I can think about doing it again.

Did you finally get your car back? I heard it was commin' :cool

Geez....Check battery connections and also battery voltage. Electronics can act very strangely with improper voltage. Make sure battery doesn't have a cloudy or dis-colored cell. Cheap check if you already didn't do it! Good Luck!

Hi,
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in...ALL of the early C4's I had, up to 91, gave me SOME probs w/ the Instrument cluster. Whether it be dig readout or fuel consumption or whatever. The last one I had to in fact replace the entire dash assembly to correct the problem. The '88 was in the CCM though. You got a toughie to get to the cause....either have it diagnosed or "play Hit and Miss" 'till you find it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Tim

Ken Anderson said:
Trip function is controlled by the BCM, not in the cluster.

Well... I know it's been a while. The problem never did correct itself ---- until I DC'd the battery, cleared the computer, and it's all good now ;LOL

Hope this isn't an omen of the computer going bad :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom