Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have antique plates on their car?

I put antique plates on my car last month.
I am now exempt from all state inspections (although Arkansas doesn't have inspections anyway).

Oddly, the form said that the drive train should remain as close to stock as possible, but that I was not required to have headlights, turn signals, or seat belts. Go figure.

There are several online sites selling plates...I'm not at home or I'd add the link to a couple. They're on eBay too...but waiting for a decent one in the right year can take a while!

I'm about 40 miles north of Detroit. You? (and that yellow '73 is a pretty ride)!

Trenton...15 south of Detroit..:w

It's been a while since I lived in MA, but still only 1/4 mile north of the border.
Most folks don't get hassled by the police over antique plate usage.
Just remember to always have a suitable excuse ... like I'm driving my vette
to have the wiring checked , etc.

I wanted NH antique plates, but there is a 6 character limit.
My plate is "NHVETTE" ... 7 characters. The nice thing up here is that
you can get a custom plate in antique. For example, if my plate was
NHVETT, I could have a commercial plate on one car, antique on another,
a trailer ... and even a veteran plate on another car - all with the same plate #.

My wife's is short, so she even gets hers on her truck and her Harley "KIMME".
5 character limit for bikes.
-Dave

For sure NH is the better state - not only do you get 7 characters but you can use ampersands (&) etc. Six is kinda limiting for sure.
I think I will try and find some original 82 plates. if not I will probably go with OCNGAL for Ocean Gal as everyone here and other sites knows me as that.
Lori

Nice. I wish Michigan would have let me personalize a "historic" set...I would have kept my 81C3 tags!

OK. So you can get a current personalized historic license plate for your Vette in the State of MD. If I had a pair of 1979 MD license plates, I could actually use these instead? Do I just take these to MVA and register them? Is there a cost?

Not sure about MD, Jeff, but in Michigan it is essentially "yes" -- (maybe xccter will post a Maryland-specific reply)

If your car is more than 25 years old, in Michigan you can register year-of-manufacture plates for your car (as a historic vehicle). It is a one-time charge of $35 and the registration is good for as long as you keep the vehicle. I just did it for my '81....

Hi, I live in North Carolins and with my fisrt renewal I filled out the card and I got "74 T Top" so I'm happy with them. PG

Tennessee's antique plates are boring, but distinct.... and they go on FOREVER!!!!!

Dave

I have antique plates on my 1980. There is a really goofy picture of a buggy on the plates (to think the first C4s will be 25 years old in two years is scary!!!).

No- you can't get them personalized in KY.

Not sure how appropriate they are for my 1980- with the TPI, late model seats, and the other custom work... I'm not sure if "antique" is appropriate any more.

Resto-mod may fit better!
:L

I can't believe it but my '82 Chev. C-10 pickup earned antique tags this month......

Dave

Yesterday during the Downriver Cruise, I bought a set of 1973 plates for my Vette. They are in the original packaging and have never been on a car. So next year I put them on and never worry about the cost again...however i here that soon it will have a $20 renewal fee, but that is just talk so far.
Happy Motoring!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom