Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have Hooker side mounts,..and info about installation??

69vettester

Im wanting to install Hooker Side Mounts if It doesnt turn to somekind of installation nightmare on my car :bang

Chris..Anyone...Do you know if these driverside powersteering components, shown in the pic , will interfere with the headers as the run out to the drivers side of the car.
http://www.weavermill.com/real/exh3.jpg
Ive looked at a bunch of outside pics of the Hookers and It seems to me, that PS stuff would be right in the path of the driverside header..
Does anyone know whether the Hookers are made to clear those PS mounts and hoses on my car:confused

Any help, advice ect..is greatly appreciated.:w
TomC

Tom'
The headers clear the power steering without any problems.
Remove both rocker covers
Remove the clutch cross-shaft
Remove the starter
Get the car as high as you can
The rocker covers will need to be trimmed. Also the bottom of the fenders.

Mike

Stingray6974 said:
Tom'
The headers clear the power steering without any problems.
Remove both rocker covers
Remove the clutch cross-shaft
Remove the starter
Get the car as high as you can
The rocker covers will need to be trimmed. Also the bottom of the fenders.

Mike

Mike,
Yikes..I was hoping for easier install, specially the cross mount and starter removal part. Ive heard stories about some Hooker installs being easier than others? Please comment..
TomC

I pulled the engine, wired the headers to the sides of the engine compartment and reinstalled the engine. No modifications necessary but a big job none the less.
Nope wait I sec there was some modifications necessary. The very bottom of the front fenders where they meet the door needs to be trimmed, Hooker includes instructions on precisely how to do this. If you want to reinstall your rocker moldings they will have to be trimmed as well.
Great winter project, it's worth the effort in terms of reduced interior heat, weight, looks and sound.

I put them on a '79 and had to trim the rocker molding but when I helped put them on a buddies '78 we didn't have to. They looked like they were both made the same. Never did figure out why.

Interesting. Could it have to do with the type of heads used? Poly vs rubber body mounts? Motor mounts?

Put mine on and didn't remove anything. I did have to raise the front end quite a bit though. Still haven't found away to put the side trim plates on. Pipes are just to close to the body. Also if you get them ceramic coated you might have a tough time putting them together. Took me about 3 hours aside to convince the pipes to go over the collectors. Still not sure how I am going to get them apart to paint the car this winter. I think I may have to pound them off.

:)

I had the same problem blueshark, mine are jet-hot coated with that silver finish, they really put it on thick!
After wrestling with it the first time I coated the surfaces with a generous amount of "never-seize" paste. No problems. G-Day (just got done watching the Crocidile Hunter :)