Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone succeed rebuilding a steering box?

That's why I recommended replacing the rag joint as an assembly with the correct GM part instead of "cobbling" it together with a "repair kit". The (Chinese) carcass element only has four layers of reinforcement, and the correct one has seven. Do you really want a "cobbled" joint in the only connection between you and the front wheels? :eyerole

Unfortunately, I had already ordered the kit on the 17th, the day before you posted that recommendation. But the kit seems like decent quality. It's just a matter of me getting this thing apart and which size pieces go back in. Does anyone know?

grind the other side of the pin off and knock it through .you need the pins that are closest to the size that was in there they are the saftey and keep the joint together if there is a failure like you just had Steve

Thanks Steve. It turns out I am not going to use this kit because it doesn't include two pins of the same correct size.

That tells me this kit is not specific to the Corvette. In addition a friend of mine just showed me his kit for his Ford Mustang. It was identical to mine with the same three unmatched pins.

Like JohnZ says, buy the whole coupler, not the kit.

Matt

I need to replace the one on my '69 stepside project too. Oddly enough the truck catalogs that I have only have the complete joint and not the repair kit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom