Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are side headers legal on a 76 in Texas?

V

Vette 76

Hi, I am currently restoring a # matching 76 vette. She has been a great friend and daily driver, just allitle slow with the L-48 350. I have a 454 and Hooker side headers for it. (L-88 cam, forged pistons, 850 holley etc.) Would it hurt the value of the car to put the big block in it with the side headers or just rebuild the 350 to add some hp? Also, will it pass inspection with the side headers in the panhandle of Texas? Any suggestions? Thanks, Vette 76

Hi Vette 76

Welcome to the forum. Browse around and check things out. They always say that an original car is worth more but there are a lot of members here that have modified cars. I guess I would say that it is your car, do what you will enjoy. You can always save all of the original parts so it can be put back to original if you ever sell it. If a catalitic converter inspection is part of your states emisions check, you probably won't get away with the 454 and outside headers. Some states exempt cars after they are a certain age like '74. Check with your state before spending a lot of money. It may be less hassle to perk up the 350.
Tom

VETTE76. I AGREE WITH 59TOM IN THAT DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD WITH YOUR CAR. JUST SAVE THE PARTS FOR FUTURE USE IF IT HAS TO GO BACK TO STOCK.NOT SURE WHAT YOUR E-CHECKS ARE LIKE, BUT HERE IN OHIO MY CAR WITH THE 383 MIGHT MAKE IF TUNED CORRECT,BUT WITH OUT THE "CAT" IT WILL NOT!! I'M GOOD UNTIL 2003,AND THE CAR WILL PASS THE 25YEAR MARK IN 2004. ONE DAY AT A TIME. I'LL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN IT COMES, IN THE MEAN TIME I'M GOING TO ENJOY MY "PIPES"!! HOPE THIS HELPS. JCL

e test

We don't have e test in this corner of Ohio. :J :J
Tom

E-CHECKS(59TOM)

YEH,YEH. IT'S REALLY A PAIN IN THE BUTT! I CAN JUMP OVER ONE OR TWO COUNTIES,AND THEY DON'T HAVE SQUAT!!! NEVER HAS MADE A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE. SHOULD BE EVERYONE OR NO-ONE!! I THINK THEY NEED SOMETHING, BUT WHAT THEY "GOT" DON'T FLY!!! JCL

EMISSION

In the state of Ohio you can get what is called a collectors plate,you have to apply for it.Nothing to it because all corvette in Ohio are consider collector cars,this makes it exempt from emission testing.Good luck

We Need Darth

Vette 76 Welcome to The Corvette Action Center I'll email my partner in crime here from Texas and get an answer for you ;)

For now please take a look around at some of the information we have here at CAC. You can literally spend hours just surfing through the information Rob has gathered here.

59Tom; JCL; paul.fithen@fuse.net, Ohio Try California :J

BudD
:w

"COLLECTORS PLATES"

PAULFITHEN@FUSE.NET. THE LAST TIME I ASKED SOMEONE ABOUT A COLLECTORS PLATE THEY SAID IT WASN'T AVAILABLE IN OHIO ANYMORE BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT. IF YOU HAVE ONE ALREADY YOU KEEP IT. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!! IF IT'S STILL AVAILABLE THAT WILL SOLVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE!! FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD CALIFORNIA IS A "BEACH" ON E-CHECKS!!! JCL

Hi Vette76, Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!
In regards to your vette's emmissions, you are now exempt from tailpipe testing. But you must still pass visual. You can remove the cat, run duals or sidepipes with any engine. What you must have is:
EGR valve
PCV valve
Evaporative system :charcoal canister with purge valve and all hoses hooked up
Thermostatic air cleaner and
Hot air tube
Also fresh air intake tube if your vette originaly came with it.
Basically you need to use the stock air cleaner for inspection, and you can get a kit for the hot air tube to go on headers.
Hope this helps,
Mike

collectors plates

In the state of Ohio all they check is the vin no against your title.All vettesare consider collectorable any othe cars you have to show prove why it is a collectable.JUST recieve my new tag for this year, they mail them to you

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom