Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Arizona Woman Reunited with her Stolen 1964 Corvette 40 Years Later in California

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Arizona Woman Reunited with her Stolen 1964 Corvette 40 Years Later in California

attachment.php

Modesto Fleming of Arizona hugs Red Bluff CHP Officer Dave Madrigal after
he reunites her with her1964 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray on Nov. 4 at the
Main Street office. Photo Courtesy of Red Bluff CHP

It turned out to be a special Thanksgiving holiday for one Arizona woman who received a call from a California Highway Patrolman regarding her 1964 Corvette that was stolen 40 years ago.

California Highway Patrol Officer Dave Madrigal reunited Modesto Fleming of Arizona with her 1964 Corvette that was stolen just over 40 years ago approximately 500 miles from where it was found.

The owner who had the car in Red Bluff, California, recently had it at a car show, when someone looked at the VIN and told the owner it was a VIN for a different Chevrolet model and that he should take it to law enforcement to have it investigated.

On October 20, the owner took the Corvette to his local CHP office, and Officer Dave Madrigal was assigned with investigating the VIN which turned out to be for a 1964 Chevrolet Impala. Madrigal was able to locate a different identification number on the Corvette, at which point he contacted the National Insurance Crime Bureau for clarification.

"The number returned to a 1964 Chevy Corvette that was an unrecovered stolen vehicle out of Anaheim Police Department in September of 1976," Madrigal said. "I contacted Anaheim and advised them of the situation. They researched their micro fish for the stolen report and called me back. They then located the victim from 1976, who is currently living in Arizona, and told her we had her car."

Officer Madrigal questioned the current owner and learned that his wife bought the car for him in 1987 from a dealer in Redding, California which since had gone out of business.

On November 4th, Modesto Fleming arrived in California and was given the Corvette back.

Congratulations to her getting her 1964 Corvette and a job well done to Officer Dave Madrigal and the California Highway Patrol!!

Source: Red Bluff Daily News

Attachments

• 1964-corvette-stolen-40-years-anaheim-1.jpg
    1964-corvette-stolen-40-years-anaheim-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 164
Cool story, but I always feel bad for the innocent party. From the story, the owner of the stolen Vette bought it from a dealer (who is out of biz now) and has no recourse to recover anything. Chuckled at the reporter's mention of "micro fish"...:L

Agreed Otter. I am truly happy for the original owner but feel devastated for the couple that bought the car in 87. I hope there is something that can be done for them. At least it was a 1987 price/cost and not 2016 prices. But still...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom