Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Attention c4 owners needing a meaner exhaust note

P

PUSHIN440

Hey c4 owners, i just thought i'd let everyone know that for $150 you can have an awsome sounding corvette, I mean the way you think a vette should sound. When i purchased my 1st vette "95" Coupe, It sounded so lame, or quiet, that I just had to do something. I've heard so many people asking what exhaust systems they should get. Well I think the answer is only $150 away. Its a do it youself job, No auto mechanic bull**** like "We cant install it, if we dont sell it." Well know you dont need anyones help to have an oustanding c4 sound. Its called "The muffler eliminater kit" just measure pipes, make your cut w/ a sawzall, slide your new pipes over the cut, it uses the same bracket thats already there.. its simple and let me tell you, my 95 sounds like a race car. It still passes emission because it does'nt get rid of the catalck ? converter. and I definately have a HP gain. Its also reversable with an additional coupling. Hope someone can appreciate this imfo. Cause I discovered it myself, before almost spending $1200-$1500 on different exhausts just to acheive this great sound.

A friend of mine took his 88 to a local muffler shop to have the factory mufflers removed, new pieces of pipe bent to fit where the mufflers were and welded in place and a new set of tips and the cost was about $65.00.It sounds like you had pretty much the same thing done but the price seems really steep!

always known that the 'cats' cut down noise and added restriction.but to dump the mufflers and go to straight pipes never ocurred to me.so ill do that now that ive got someone thats gone first.

A friend of mine took his 88 to a local muffler shop to have the factory mufflers removed, new pieces of pipe bent to fit where the mufflers were and welded in place and a new set of tips and the cost was about $65.00.

This is done all the time around here on 1/2 ton V8 powered pickup trucks of all makes with dual cats. Really gives a nice sound. I'm sure N. Illinois is not the only place where it is common. I've heard trucks while traveling the interstates with out of state plates with the same sound.
I'm very surprised you guys are just now finding out about this. Maybe we should start looking outside the box for new ideas.

I don't mean to detract from the eliminator idea. It is very inexpensive. However, as it has been said before, make sure you hear it for yourself first.
I took a LT4 Vette for a test drive one day. The exhaust sounded so bad that I had to look at the mufflers to make a mental note not to buy that brand. Sure enough, they were gone. Just some goodlooking tips.
The sound level was a little louder then my Magnaflows, both inside and out. The tone was not as deep though. It had a higher pitch and sounded kind of hollow. I'm not trying to push the brand that I have, just giving my two cents.
As far as the LT4.....Nice top end!

:w

The straight pipe thing isn't for everyone. Some like it and some don't. It is louder but you seem to lose "definition" of some sorts.

I think you're going to gain the most HP by eliminating the mufflers and you have to remember that you're saving some pretty good weight. A pair of mufflers can add a little weight, especially the stainless mufflers.

I've had straight pipes before on cars and they are too noisy. They have a tendency to pop or back fire when you let off the gas. Not to mention the tickets you'll get for excessive noise. They are not for everyone. A good set of straight through mufflers are better then none at all. You won't like it unless your 16 and it's your first car.

You made a good point Edmond. They are sort of heavy. I never really thought of that before. Maybe I should off-set the weight by removing my cats and getting some headers ;)

:w

this is the route i took

428980_2_full.jpg

this setup is very loud and not for everyone cause the sound hits the ground and back up into the car but it's very intimidating :D

guess i never grew up and still feel like i'm 16 :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom