Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto Trans Shifting @ Higher RPM ??

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
I pulled my engine out of my 81 this winter and cleaned her up. I did not do anything to the internals (cam, crank, pistons, etc.). Replaced carb, valve covers, air cleaner, radiator, vacuum canister, P/S pump, added a new set of headers and then some routine stuff, distributor cap, plugs, wires, changed trans fluid and filter.

I pulled the engine only, left the trans in the car for my makeover. She is now shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th at a higher rpm then in the past. It feels like she is really pushing before it shifts. Nothing noticeable when de-accelerating.

I would appreciate any simple suggestions for things to check. Thanx in advance.

It sounds like your transmission kickdown assembly is not set correctly. It will be bolted to your intake manifold near the throttle linkage. There is a setup procedure that you are supposed to follow to ensure that the car down-shifts at WOT. If it is not set correctly, the the car will shift too late.

Double check that (i had the same problem on my 82 and a friend had the problem with his 84. Transmission shop told him the tranny was bad and wanted $4k to fix it. 10 minutes adjusting the cable and his problem was gone).

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom