Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic ZR-1 Convertible

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
I was told by a recent visitor to the Corvette Museum that they saw an Automatic ZR1 convertible there that was reportedly one of three built for Chevy big wigs. Don't know the year.

Has anyone else seen this car or is this an Urban Legend? Are the others in private hands?

The only one I know of was specially built ... a concept car if you will. Right next to it was a LT1 spyder also specially built.

I don't remember it being an automatic but I could have missed that.

:w

rwpeders said:
I was told by a recent visitor to the Corvette Museum that they saw an Automatic ZR1 convertible there that was reportedly one of three built for Chevy big wigs. Don't know the year.

Has anyone else seen this car or is this an Urban Legend? Are the others in private hands?

Actually, I think I read somewhere that 3 were built for specifically as GM prototypes or for GM execs. On a similar note, I know of least 2 Callaways in existence built with auto trannys. Roger's Corvette in Orlando has an '88 for sale. And a woman bought one at auction.

Wish I could put my finger on the magazines those articles are in, but I just have waaaaaay too many of them to even try. Sorry.
:Steer

You might try to find out over in the ZR-1 Net. www.zr1net.com That site and forum will probably have every piece of Zr-1 information you could think of.

The LT5 motor probably had too much power to keep the 700R4/4L60 in one piece without building a special heavy duty version and if GM did, the numbers of trannies like that would be so small (given the ZR-1 production numbers) it probably would not have made any financial sense.

The light blue ZR-1 in the pic was a paint test IIRC. It was there for the 50th Anniversary but I can't remember if it was an A4 or MN6 tranny.

There is or was a guy in Shreveport, LA that had a ZR1 converted to an automatic since he did not have use of his legs and can only drive an auto. To him, the conversion was worth it. He definitely had the auto beefed up to handle the LT5 that was also tweaked and gassed. If I remember correctly he turned 12.5 with the valet switch in the wrong position and no gas and 10's on the bottle - all the while driving with hand controls.

Tuna said:
There is or was a guy in Shreveport, LA that had a ZR1 converted to an automatic since he did not have use of his legs and can only drive an auto. To him, the conversion was worth it. He definitely had the auto beefed up to handle the LT5 that was also tweaked and gassed. If I remember correctly he turned 12.5 with the valet switch in the wrong position and no gas and 10's on the bottle - all the while driving with hand controls.
Ya gotta LUV it! :w

c4cruiser said:
The light blue ZR-1 in the pic was a paint test IIRC. It was there for the 50th Anniversary but I can't remember if it was an A4 or MN6 tranny.

That one is a 1989. It was done as an afterthought, by one of the Vette accessories places (MAM, Corvette America, IIRC) I can 't remember if it was an auto or manual either. Should have taken a better pic of the display sign. One thing though it is not a Vert. which Rwpeders was originally asking about.

:w

toms94 said:
Could be the one he was talking about is the light blue one behind hoosierdaddy in this picture. http://corvetteactioncenter.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1392/password/82418393b97eb07aeb69ef47a1f32f98/sort/1/cat/6030/page/1

It was a special made one, but I don't recall whether or not it had auto tranny. One beautiful car though.

Those were both hard tops if I rememeber correctly. :) And yes the purple smash was a beautiful car. The paint actually changed colors as you walked around the car.

Hello,

Our car has a 6-speed in it. The car is one of the original prototype cars from 1989 or refered to as a pilot car. We are currently restoring the car now and it will be complete in about 1 1/2 months. The car is from England and is Montana Blue on Montana Blue.

Cheers,

Michael

There was a Vette-specialty shop in Columbia, MD, that had a claimed auto convertible ZR-1; it's quite possible they made it themselves. This was back in 91, IIRC. I did see it; definitely auto, definitely convertible, definitely had an LT5 engine, definitely had the convex rear - but it had the HMSTL on the decklid rather than in the rear bumper! Could not tell if it had the wider tires or not; my Vette eye wasn't as well-trained in those days. I went back a couple years later to find out more, but the place was out of business.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom