Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Axle ratios.....

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
I have a 96 with the 6 speed. What axle ratio do I have? Was there more than one option?

If anyone can answer this or lead me to a web site I would appreciate it.

:BOW

Thanks...

Thanks. I was at that thread looking for that. I didn't realize that "final drive ratio" was what I was looking for. Learning something every day.

Question is now what can I upgrade to??

Wait, you have an LT4 and you want to get off the line even quicker? Man, there just isn't pleasing some people!:L

I get board....

I have had a great time with what I have but I get board with it. I am not board enough to go off the deep end.... move from Vettes or any thing like that but I figure I have a long way to go before I need to supercharge or NOS or ????? I have done the open air box, K&N, +4 spark plugs etc, the easy stuff. I can do the rear end, hot cam and what ever else while I still have this engine. Once I bury that engine then it's 383 time with other goodies listed before.

There is never enough horse power is there??

My ultimate dream is a 32 ford with a blown rat motor. I better start saving for the wheelie bars huh... or a shrink to figure out my need for speed....

I would suggest a plan for your car... your plan should basically be an ending point for how much power you want, and what you are going to use to get there. If you supercharge, you will probably find that gears are too much for the car, and you will probably need to switch back. How many miles do you have on your LT4? they aren't easy to kill!

If you do go with gears, 4.10 or 4.09 are excellent choices

My head is in the clouds right now...

I just got Holly on the road after a 3 Mo withdrawl. Opti/water pump/+4s/clean rad etc. I am enjoying what I have been missing for the past 3 mo. However, I will be wanting more in the future.

My clock has 54K. I am the second owner. I purchased Holly with 23K. A historical service check showed that the previous owner did an "OK" job at changing the oil with only simple warrenty returns when he bought it. Based off my lenghy timeline for the simple mods above and $$$, my next step will be in the long range future. I do agree with a plan though!!!

My gut feel says that I should stick to simple mods like I have done above. I like the idea of the rear end change with this engine. Besides if this engine is as bullit proof as every tells me than I am in for a long haul. I guess I it could be worse to wait for a 383 with all the goodies. (A possible option)

Ulitimatly a 32 Ford with a blown Rat is in my future. I better start saving for the wheelie bars now!!!!

Thanks for the gear numbers. How hard is that job? I have heard that it should be only be done by the profesionals but what makes that so? Also, does 0.01 make that much a difference in ratios?

I need time off from work...

I just read my last post. I really am dreaming about that 32 ford...

I am repeating myself. I hope I'm not doing it here in the office...

the .01 doesn't really matter, it is just who you get them from that will vary... some have 4.10's, others 4.09's.... The gears will really make the car fun... I have wanted to do them for a while, I just can't justify the cost right now... There is quite a bit of work involved... I would strongly suggest you have someone that knows gears do the job... A friend of mine had it done, and the guy didn't set them up right.... he cracked a tooth and wound up going back to stock gears... He wound up paying to buy the gears, put them in, then put the factory gears back in... go to a good gear shop that will stand behind their work... Some of the things involved include taking off some of the rear suspension components... you need a good lift, and a bunch of time....

If you really wan to wake up that LT4, go with Nitros... you don't seem especially worried about how long the engine lasts, and nitros is a super cheap mod for the power gains... that and the price tag should be less than gears if you do the nitros yourself

maybe you should get out of the office for a couple of days and see if you can find one... there is bound to be one Found On Road Dead LOL.. old joke, but still funny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom