Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Back up Lights 1991 6 speed

EJZ

Corvette
1991 Bright Red Coupe
The back-up lights on my 1991 do not go on, The bulbs and fuse are ok. How do get at the switch ? How do i test it?
Both manuals I have tell me where the switch is but not how to get at it. Any help is welcome.

I can't help you with your problem, but I would like to welcome you to CAC. Wait around here, someone will be able to answer your question. GMjunkie will be able to answer question without a doubt, hopefully he will chime in here pretty soon.

Access the switch from the bottom. With the car on a lift, loosen the clutch slave cylinder and tie it out of the way. But obtain/make this tool first (see below). I did not. I was unable to remove the bad switch and after an hours time, had to put it back together, unfinished. Do not over torque the new switch or you may crack the tranny. I'm in the process of making the tool and plan to tackle it again. Should be a piece of cake with the tool.

Al Kinder (USAZR1@aol.com) has built a special tool to loosen the switch. If you wish to build your own, you will require access to a machine shop and a welding facility, otherwise borrow it from him). It consists of a 7/8" (22mm) socket (normal length) that has been bored out at the socket end to about .850" (big enough for the plastic to fit through) and then welded to a 7" piece of 5/8" mild steel. Assembled the tool has an L shape with the weld at the bored out end of the socket. You will also need a 1 foot length of steel pipe to use as a wrench 'extender'.

Got an 89 6speed that had the same problem
yes you need to test the switch from under the car and it is not real easy to access (located above the clutch slave) it has a two wire plug attached to the switch you need to unplug the switch and a paper clip will work to jump the two wires (just make sure the paper clip don't short out to ground when you turn the ignition switch on to test lights after you jump the wires or it will blow the fuse)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom