Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Backup lights...??

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
Hi, I own a 2000 6 speed vette. I lost my back up lights. When I put the car in reverse the backup lights don't come on, but when I set the alarm the lights work. So I can rule out the bulbs being bad. I was told there is a switch that may be bad. Has anyone had this problem, if so do you know where the switch is located and where I can buy one? I figure if it is a quick swap it will be better to get it done myself than wait weeks for a dealer to do it.

Thanks, Bob..

On my 98 mn6 the switch is on the passenger side, I think I paid around $15 at autozone.

Was it hard to change? did you have to remove anything under the car?

Thanks , Bob.

backup light switch

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago , the switch which screws into passenger side of transmission up high, takes 5 minutes to change it 20 to get car in air high enough to do it. Part is 12.56 at napa.

Still no luck

I changed out the switch on the tranny. still doesnt work I also replaced the relay for the back up lights and no luck. I went under the car and manually pushed the button in with the the key on to bypass the tranny and it still didnt work. Not to sure what to do any ideas? I used a meter and I went to the chasses ground and to one end of the plug and no power. Same to the other end of the plug. I noticed though one end of the plug was grounded to the chassey and the other side wasnt. some where there must be a short, but where?

Bob,..

Do the backup lights come on when you unlock the car with the key fob? If not, check fuse #2 in the fuse box next to the battery. If they do come on with the fob, peel back the carpeting on the passenger footwell, and you will find an access panel to a secondary fuse box. Check fuse #15.

I assume that you verified the lamps themselves are okay. :D

The lights do come on with the remote. I didnt even know there was another fuse panel behind the carpet, Ill check that and let you know. Thanks bob..,

No luck, I look at the fuses and everthing is ok. Not sure what will be the next step. Probally dealer if I cant get it fixed myself..

Bob...

Make sure you are checking the fuses with a voltmeter or a test light.

Tigershark_11 said:
The lights do come on with the remote. I didnt even know there was another fuse panel behind the carpet, Ill check that and let you know. Thanks bob..,

Seems like you don't have something grounded since the reverse lights do come on. I would start back under the car and check the switch and pins again. Check your voltages on the pins to the reverse switch on the trans, I don't have a wiring schematic but one of the wires should have 12 volts on it with the key on. Maybe a bad switch? keep us informed, most of the time changing the switch seems to work.

I had a similar problem after using my emergency flashers once. It took awhile to
stumble on the solution, but it self corrected after cycling the flashers on and
off once or twice. I don't know if this will help you, but it can't hurt and is cheap
to try.

Ill take a look at the grounds. I did check the switch with a meter and thats ok. But there is no power going to the switch when the key is on. Changed out the relay in the fuse panel under the hood that powers it up, no luck. Ill let you know if I come up with anything. If some one does have a schematic, that would be great.

Thanks, Bob..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom