Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Comparison Question

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
Can someone explain this to me?...Optima has a yellow top battery for about 150 dollars. In there advertisements they claim the battery lasts 2 ½ times longer then other batteries. They also only warrantee, with full replacement, for only 12 months and not prorated after that. Now, Sears has a Gold battery, that is warrantee with full replacement of 36 months and pro rated for 100 months. The cost of the Sears Gold is 90 dollars…My question is how can Optima say there battery is superior to all others when they wont back them? And what is superior about the Optima? If you do the math its a no brainer.

Well, I'm certainly no expert but a lead-acid battery is a lead-acid battery as far as I learned. The most frequent cause of them going bad is the plates disintegrating and the filings piling up on the bottom of the battery and shorting the cells. Well, of course of they get dry that's not good either. ;-)

I also keep mine on a Battery Tender for storage.

Personally, I don't go in for all of the new battery fads: yellow top, red top, etc... I figure if I get a good battery for around a hundred bucks or so and have to replace it every 4 or 5 years, that's pretty cheap per year. Heck, it costs about fifty bucks just to fill the sucker with a tank of gas.

I went with the Sears gold again...their was still some warrentee left on it from 1995...cost me 52 dollars for another 100 month battery...no questions asked...can't kick..I also put a tender on my battery...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom