Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery -Light- Oil leak

B

Bernard

My battery light stays on -I replaced w/ new battery and neg and pos connectors? any advice where to start looking??

I have a 1980 L-48 a/t- actually just got it last week shipped from Daytona Fl. has small fresh oil leak behind starter area down onto pan- starter, Iam new at this as to where to start looking- Iam thinking -start w/ valve cover gasket replacement- next oil pan gasket- Where would rear main seal start leaking? It's dark black old oil over rear valve cover- passenger side- but I dont see fresh oil out of that area?? Thanks- Bernard

Welcome

Bernard:
Welcome to CACC. Your intuition is correct. I'd start with cleaning the motor ... then monitor closely. Check for leaks at top rear of motor in the "corners" where intake manifold-heads-block mate. While at top rear, check oil pressure fitting/sending unit. Afterwhich, try gently tightening the oil pan bolts and new valve cover gaskets.
JACK:gap

Chances are one of the diodes has gone out in the alt.,so you'll have to have a rebuild or a replacement,but have it tested first anyway.If you take it off,most places test for free.

Don't try to "change parts". The best advice is the previous post- take it to a auto parts store or to a repair shop that specializes in electricals. Even if they charge a "bench fee", it's cheaper than buying parts to replace perfectly good ones.

Barrier is right. Sounds like the volt reg in the alternator. However, be careful with the bench test as sometimes they will not check for the sensing circuitry. I just swapped out an alt in one of my sons cars that appeared on the bench to be pumping out a nice steady 14.5V, however I was still getting an ALT light. They claimed it was OK. NOT! Put a new one in, light went out and charges perfectly. Be sure they check everything.

Good luck........... Nut

Don't start replacing gaskets until you know where the oil is coming from; wipe the area where the oil is and above it clean, then sprinkle a little talc or baby powder around the area, and it will become immediately apparent where the leak source is shortly after you drive it again - THEN you can go after it.

JohnZ said:
....sprinkle a little talc or baby powder around the area, and it will become immediately apparent where the leak source is shortly after you drive it again - THEN you can go after it.

Awesome trick John! Thanks!

- Eric:w

Thanks for all your replies I'll get on both
problems -AFTER CARLISLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom